289 rebuild - pushrods sizes

I am building a 289 from a virgin block that has been bored .030 over and piston matched from machine shop ect. When I started I had two complete motors to choose my rebuild from old mustangs, 289 and 302 complete motors. The 302 had already been boared .060 so I went with the virgin 289. I decided to use the 302 (D0OE) heads that came off the 302. I noticed the pushrods from each motor I tore down were different lengths (not much). The longer ones seem to come out of the 302 that had these 302 heads on them. Which push rods do I use? How can I measure and be sure I'm using the right pushrods for this motor? I assume these pushrods are 6.905" and 6.805" length. I read somewhere to use 6.905" for the 289/302 with 302/351heads, how can I be sure?

-Mike.

Also I am using a high energy comp cam, FR4 Edelbrock intake, headers, EFI Dist

pushrods:

picture:
64' 289 bored .030 over
262 in 270 ex
speed pro .030 over

MJBiggs

You have to measure them for correct fit and valve geometry. To do that, you need some light weight checking valve springs. Replace two valve springs with the checking springs. Drop the head on the block, with a gasket. Install two lifters, two pushrods and two rocker arms. Turn the engine over a few times. Watch the rocker arm tip as the engine rotates. Ideally, you want the tip to be centered on the valve stem at half lift. You have to use the checking springs because the hydraulic lifter will compress under load, and it won't be accurate.

You also need to clay the pistons to check for valve/piston clearance. I would do that before checking push rod length.

Reply to
.boB

Thanks for the comments. I'm using 289 block/crank with the D0OE heads. I need to figure out the compression ratio. I did research on the D0OE heads and mine have 69 302 D0OE on them (see pic from previous e-mail), but everywhere I research the "D0OE" heads are always referred as 351 heads its hard to find specs.Here a link for that data.

much about this?thanks .Mike

Reply to
MJBiggs