289 Rebuild questions.

OK, so im ready to pull the cylinders out of the block, what do i use to take the ridge off? And ive got one of those reamers with the little balls on it to do cleanup (got it from a friend). I put it in the drill and then do i start from the top of the cylinder or the bottom? or does it matter? Please no flames. Thank you.

Reply to
Errol Smith

Two ways to take this, Errol...... if the motor has never been rebuilt before, there's a good chance that you might just as well knock the pistons out without worrying about the ridge...... you'll be looking at a rebore and new pistons. If there is a real noticeable ridge, this is likely the case.

OTOH, if you feel there is a chance that you can save some of this stuff, you will need a ridge reamer.....

is a decent tool (I have one)but you need to take a lot of care using it. It is possible to destroy thetop end of the cylinder through carelessness. The tool you have is NOT areamer... it is a deglazer and only works well in cylinders that have noappreciable out of round or taper. This is not a flame, by any means, but I think you need to read up a little on cylinder preparation before you set yourself up for a moderately expensive disappointment. I was young once, made many mistakes and I'd like to help others avoid those same mistakes....

HTH Jim Warman snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net

Reply to
Jim Warman

like to help others avoid those same mistakes....

This is excellent advice and applies to all aspects of engine building. At the minimum, get some books on engine building, read them, and understand them. The time and money you invest doing that will be repaid many many times.

A better way to learn is to take an engine building class at your local community college. The class is inexpensive and FUN. You will actually tear down and reassemble an engine and make it run. You'll learn how to use all the tools (including a ridge reamer) and practice with them on SOMEONE ELSES ENGINE. That way when you build YOUR engine you'll have an excellent chance of building an excellent performing, long lived engine.

LJH

95GT (took the class, bought the books, built a great running 331 stroker)
Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

if you pull the pistons out and you got a small ridge on the top can you feel it with your fingernails. if you can't feel it with your fingernails just hone it top down. go upand down slowly with the hone. If you feel a real strong ridge on it you will need to use a ridge reemer to get the ridge off the top.

Reply to
Beebsterboy1