351C w/ Aussie Heads

Hi Group,

I have a '72 mach 1 that was originally an H code. Someone had put a 302 2V in it at some point, (which I removed).

I built a 351C from an unbored block, had the shop bore it 0.030" over, install forged pistons and balance it. I picked up a set of Aussie Cleveland 2V heads (closed chamber) on ebay, had the shop put in stainless valves, bronze guides and hardened seats. I slapped those on with an Edelbrock 4V-2V "Performer" aluminum intake (4V carb to 2V heads).

I'm getting ready to drop this in as soon as I finish painting the inner fenders/firewall. It's going in with a freshly rebuilt FMX. What octane would be the best to use for this setup?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
nospam

Short answer: whatever octane eliminates ping. Long answer: static compression ratio, cam timing, and ignition timing are the biggest factors in determining the octane level at which ping sets in. Head material is another, with iron being more ping-prone than aluminum. Other factors are vehicle weight and gear ratios, the cooling system, and the presence of hot spots in the combustion chamber. Because there are so many factors, the best answer is the short one. Test drive and use the octane that eliminates ping.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

"nospam" wrote in news:6ISdnd0GtNOTESvYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com: