Tremec- Is it worth $400?

Have a 66 FB C4 auto, 289 2v all original. The engine and trans need to be rebuilt. I have been offered a Tremec 5-spd which came out of a Dodge. I have been told all I need is the right bell housing for it towork in the 66. True? Not true? It will cost $300 to have the C4 rebuilt to like new. Would the conversion be cost effective, or would it be a waste of effort to install the Tremec? Anyone have any idea what it takes for the conversion (parts/costs)? Is there a web page covering it?

Reply to
V'ger

It would seem that you would be involved in lots of extra work to get the Tremec installed. For example, as your car is an auto, you'll have to either swap out the pedal box or determine if the stock pedal box will accommodate a clutch pedal -- and then find one to install. Yes, you can find the appropriate bell housing, but you'll also be needing flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, clutch fork, throwout bearing and a good deal of intuition to get everything hooked up properly. You might have to move the shifter location too, depending on where the stock location will come through your floor (this is an upgrade on Tremecs that require opening the unit up - i.e. leave it to a pro if you don't know what you're doing). You'll also probably need to have the driveshaft shortened, and you will definitely need a new yoke for the front of the drive shaft, as Tremecs have

32 spline output shafts and C4's have 28, I believe. Also, if your car is original, swapping out the C4 for the Tremec will take away from the car's originality.

On top of all this, the overriding question is why? A Tremec is made for an engine that is high HP high torque. A stock 2V 289 is hardly going to need that kind of strength. Sort of using an elephant gun to kill a pigeon. I'd say make your life simple and get the C4 rebuilt!

Reply to
Anthony or Carla DiOrio

That pretty well supported my original thoughts. While I would love to have the manual 5 spd (especially with the OD gear since it will be subject to long trips on freeway and back roads). Not really worried about keeping it original. The finished product will look original on the outside but will have mods under the hood and interior. I'd be happy with the auto if it had a little more zip and yet had the oD for the trips.

She goes to the engine shop tomorrow. Today, the local rod shop is going to look it over and see what I can do myself to address some of the issues. Like a total new wiring harness (nose to tail), disc brake conversion, etc. Really great guys there. Helpful and parts at their cost.

Thanx for the input. It really swung the decision the way I thought it should go anyway. But, since the offer of the tranny was there, I figured I should investigate it.

Reply to
V'ger

If you want the overdrive capability, why not go for an AOD swap? You can probably get the tranny for a song and the list of additional parts required, probably won't kill you. I went with the Gear Vendors overdrive unit for my '66, but wouldn't recommend it unless you're just pushing too much horsepower for an AOD to handle, as is my case.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Mustang_66

Reply to