351W into an 88 LX w/2.3L EFI

I am planning on putting a 351W in my 88LX, but it currently has the

2.3L EFI w/ T5. I know I will need an oil pan w/ pickup tube, headers (BBK), motor mounts, dampener, tranny (AOD), flexplate, etc. I do have a bunch of questions that I know you guys will be able to answer. I was wondering if I could put a regulator on the existing fuel system to drop the pressure where it needs to be to run it to a carbed 351W?

I'm going to have a 351W w/ an AOD, do you think my current drive shaft will work. I have a 2.3L w/ T-5. Or would I have to get one from a 5.0 w/ AOD to fit mine?

When I take out the 2.3L, are there holes for the 351W to go into, or do I have to fab up some brackets to make it fit? If so, does anybody have any plans for them?

Does anyone make 351W swap drop mounts or just 302 drop mounts for this application?

Also I have 3.27's in the rear end, should I go higher (w/ AOD)? I have 3.73 and 4.11 available.

Well that's all I have for, I appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks a lot

Reply to
Blink

Get a complete 5.0 rear end. The one in your car will not hold a 351. Then think about what ratio you want. The first question would be what are you going to use the car for?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I do not want to race the car, I might take it to the track once just to see what it can do, but other than that just a street rod. Sounds like I should just get rid of this car and try and find a 5.0 car/chassis. know where I can get one in WI, MI, or IL area? As for the rear end, my dad has the same car with a 429 and his 7.5 held. He ended up changing it out and putting the 8.8 in, just to be safe. So I think it would hold a mild 351, versus a strong 429.

Andy B

Reply to
Blink

Yes, very simple to do. Get a return style regulator for a carb, and mount it very close to the carb bowl. Good parts are available from Aeromotive, Holley, Mallory, and others. You'll need adapters to mate the factory fuel lines to AN lines. You'll also need to replace the fuel pump, it won't flow enough for the 351.

Yes

Use 302 motor mounts. The holes should already be in the frame. Drop mounts are available. Or use stock mounts for a convertible. If you really want to drop it, use solid mounts.

Since it's just a fun street rod for tooling around town and an occasional drag strip run, go for the 4.11's.

The rear end will probably hold up for a while, as long as you don't use slicks or drag tires. The auto doesn't shock load it like a T5 would. Don't forget to upgrade the springs for the additional weight.

Reply to
.boB

It's completely and utterly not worth the hassle. Just changing the suspension bits, brakes and rear end will cost more than just buying a

5.0L fox body car with most of the bits you need already installed. Sell your existing car and get a Mustang that started out with a 5.0. It will be a MUCH easier process and probably cheaper.

No.

No.

I have a 2.3L w/ T-5. Or would I have to get one

That would work.

Use 5.0 motor mounts.

Dunno.

3.55 or 3.73 would be my choice. If it's a daily driver, you might even want a 3.08 with gas prices being what they are today.

My advice is to sell your existing car and get a 5.0 LX notchback to work on. It will end up costing you less money in the long run.

No prob.

Cheers,

Ritz

He

It will hold for a while, but it will go through a slow agonizing death. I put a 351W into my old 79 Stang years back and left the stock C-4 auto tranny and 7.5 rear end in. Eventually the 7.5 rear blew and the new owners out in a 8.8 which is a direct bolt in. As others have said- it will be easier to just get a 5.0L car to begin with and then put in the 351W. I had an 81 I put a 351W into and we replaced more parts on that car then I car to mention. Its not worth it. Just get a 5.0L.

Reply to
Braxus