5.0 running hot...any ideas?

Ok, this problem just started happening (unless I never noticed it), but my engine seems to be running very hot. Granted, it was pretty hot out yesterday (bout 95), but my temp gauge got to between the "N" and "O" on NORMAL. I had the coolant flushed and filled yesterday, and that didn't help. The only reason I think there may be something wrong is because driving home last night, the temps were about 75 or so, and it still got that hot. I'm not even using the a/c. What are some possible causes for water temps to get up that high? Bad thermostat? Who knows, maybe I'm just overreacting and this is a normal thing on 5 liter engines. Please help!

Reply to
KICKERSCRT

If it seems to be running unusually hot, I'd inspect the thermostat, you can test it by dropping it into a pot of boiling water.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers K6JQ

The stock gauges are notoriously inaccurate. I wouldn't be too worried unless steam was pouring out from under the hood!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Marshall

Besides, between the N and the O in normal is just that, NORMAL!!

Steve

steam was pouring out

Reply to
Steve Marshall

KICKERSCRT opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m16.aol.com:

Does it vary? Mean run where it usually did then go up there and then drop back at some point.. or does it just warm up to there and stay?

If it's now ALWAYS there, it is either your thermostat or the temp sender or.. MAYBE a problem in your dash gauge or wiring ground. Did any OTHER gauge change reading at all.

It is NOT the computer. The only way it could be the computer is a great change in timing or injector pulse (mixture) NOT the radiator, water pump or fan...it would vary if it was.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

steam was pouring out

Bad move. If the guadge suddenly reads a lot higher than normal, something is wrong.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Not on my car. Anything past halfway through the M is HOT.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

The O on my 95 turned out to be around 210. Anything over 195 is too much with out the AC running for just normal driving.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Isnt that bad for the interior..I think that would ruin my leather seats.

Matt

89 5.0 gt vert (now at the shop getting the new tranny)
Reply to
Matt

Reply to
Kirby

I always wondered that. I never saw a digital meter, but that might be a nice upgrade :P

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Take the thermostat out of the car first, then you won't need nearly as big of a pot...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]