Any Ideas ?

When friends of ours retired, they bought an Airstream type trailer, and special ordered a new Dodge truck with all the towing options and packages.

Last year, they made a road-trip from Penna. to Alaska. Took them three months, and they had a great time.

This year, they took a trip to the SouthWest. They are still somewhere in Tennessee, ( on their way home ) and they've burned out their FOURTH transmission on this trip.

They've gotten as little as 500 miles from a ( new ) replacement tranny. The work is being done under warrantee, but this has become "the trip from hell".

I know this isn't a Dodge forum, but we've got some pretty smart people here.

They've had trannys replaced in Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Now, they're having it done in Tennessee.

WHAT could be causing this ? Is EVERY dealer screwing them on warrantee work ? Ideas ??? ( just terribly curious )

Reply to
Anonymous

When friends of ours retired,

Probably/possibly overheating. Have them put bigger coolers on. Thats coolers, plural. And put the coolers where the air gets to them.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

I have heard of this happening with 94 & Up Dodge RWD Automatics. In most cases the dealer is just removing and replacing with a new unit. A Dodge Tech I used to drink with was baffled by this, and he builds transmissions.

One thing I have started doing is getting a can of transmission cooler flush when R&R transmissions. I get mine at the local transmission rebuilder supply house. Costs $8.50 a can, waterless type.

Have your friends ask the dealer to flush the cooler, and install a secondary transmission cooler. Even if they have to spring for the cost of the part. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Even thought they have a towing package did your friend buy a big enough truck ?

Some camper literature I've gotten seems to indicate even for a light weight camper you need a 1 ton 4 X 4 Pick Up with Dual rear wheels.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~282,025 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

It is a requirement of Daimler-Chrysler to flush the trans cooler when the transmission is replaced. The dealer(s) should already be doing this.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It should be a requirement of all shops. Who knows what nasty stuff is lurking in the cooler(s) awaiting to cause havic. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Tranny builders on truck forums I visit, regularily say multiple tranny failures and/or multiple failures of a certain tranny part, are regularily caused by something NOT IN the tranny itself. IE: a blockage in the tranny cooler, debris in the line, debris in the torque converter.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Another thing is tranny fluid temperature.

I'm more familiar with fluid temp and drag racing... but I'm sure it's rather similar. Rule of thumb for the 4L60-65 trannies seems to be that you should never run the car/truck if tranny fluid temp is over 200*F. ATF starts to basically break down very rapidly at temps over that.

If there isn't a tranny fluid temp gauge in the tow vehicle, it's highly recommended that one be installed.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

By "run" I mean, make a pass at the drag-strip.

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

If he is towing in overdrive, he will surely screw it up .....several times.

Reply to
Eightupman

Synthetic trans fluid is a smart move for high heat conditions. I agree, something else is wrong.

Reply to
451 CTDS