66 mustang constant voltage regulator

Hope one of you experts can help me with this one. I have been having some strange behaviour from the gas gauge in my 66. No surpirse there I know. When I got the car the gauge was dead the whole time. I replaced the sending unit which is sending fine (checked variation in resistance) but still no change. Changed the constant voltage regulator exactly as it was previously mounted on the back on the instrument panel - attached to the metallic back plate of the instrument panel via a small screw. This made no difference either despite there being 1/2 - 3/4 of a tank of gas in there. All other gauges seem to be fine.

Now here is the strange thing. Last night I was looking at it again and noticed that if the constant voltage regulator is NOT screwed into the back plate of the instrument panel, i.e insulated from it, then the gas gauge springs to life. Unfortunately the TEMP and OIL gauges then max out constantly. Also on the screw that attaches the regulator to the back plate there is a male tag and a black wire running from it that has been cut by the previous owner - looks like it has been connected somewhere - maybe an earth ????

Can anyone please tell me exactly how the regulator must be installed for correct performance and what this black wire is there for because it is driving me mad???

many thanks.

Jonathan

Reply to
JB

"JB" wrote

You might check into solid state regulators. They are now being produced and should negate this issue entirely.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

Here is a photo of the instrument cluster voltage regulator:

My '67 Lincoln repair manual shows an identical looking voltage regulator in the instrument panel wiring schematics. It shows only two wires going into the regulator. One wire from the fuel gauge and one wire that connects to the ignition switch. The body or metal case of the instrument cluster voltage regulator is not shown to be a part of any circuit. It does not show it connected to ground or anything else.

The manual says test the instrument cluster voltage regulator by "check for voltage at the fuel gauge feed wire (black with green stripe) at the fuel gauge. The voltage should oscilate between zero and about 10 volts. If it does not, the instrument voltage regulator is defective, the radio suppression choke is defective, or there is a short to ground between the voltage regulator and the fuel gauge."

I am guessing "radio suppression choke" means a noise suppression condenser on the distributor or somewhere.

Good luck. If you really want to go nuts, buy a '67 L> Hope one of you experts can help me with this one.

Reply to
tom