'89 Mustang, gas guage intermittent

Out most of the time, comes back every once in a while.

Any known issues with this model?

Thanks,

Reply to
still me

It's a bad ground at the fuel tank area. Many of the Fox body cars do this eventually.

Reply to
Sharon Cooke

Thanks... I need to convey this info to a semi-mechanical friend who is 3000 miles from me so I don't have a car to look at... is the connection in a known location or does he have to just hunt around for it... or is it the sort of thing where you have to drop the tank?

thanks for any additional info,

Reply to
still me

"still me" wrote

Is it only the fuel gauge that goes wonky? The "instrument panel voltage regulator" powers it, along with the temperature and oil pressure gauges. If the regulator goes bad, all three gauges will give incorrect readings, either spiking or dropping to zero. The regulator is a little metal box that snaps onto the back of the cluster, much like a 9V battery.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

On May 2, 6:52 pm, "MasterBlaster"

Reply to
Kruse

On Wed, 02 May 2007 22:52:49 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

Reply to
still me