66 Mustang needing rust repair in the Atlanta area

Hi,

I need some advice on what to do with a 66 mustang with plenty of rust damage. The car runs well (rebuilt 302 with about 5,000 miles on it), it just looks bad from the outside due to rust spots and the need of new paint. It has rust pretty much all of the car in spots, some spots have turned into holes.

I've acquired it very cheaply from an elderly relative. I don't have experience with classic cars nor am I even sure if the rust can be repaired. If not repaired, then I'm potentially interested in replacing the panels that have rusted. But, I'm not sure what type of shop to take it to (any body shop, a classic car mechanic, etc?)

I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks, StefanG.

Reply to
StefanGrose

Scrap the car and keep every good part you can find. You can spend less money finding a body in better condition than you would trying to rebuild the body of the one you have.

Someone else might have a different opinion though.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

You don't say how "cheaply" you got it but pound for pound, dollar for dollar, unless you have a LOT of $$$$ to throw into complete disassembly and replacement of panels (and probably find more hedaches you didn't know about), I'd go with Don's reply. Shop labor is going to kill you on a project like this.

You can find another that's a daily driver. Around here (California) $6500 will buy you one in far better condition than yours. I see them in the classifies all the time around here (California). Make sure you use a rot spotter while shopping, and/or take someone with you who REALLY knows what they are doing.

I just paid $9000 for a 65 FB. Another $9000 is going into immediate restoration and especially modifications, as well as a complete repaint.... labor included. Quite a bit of that was not required but was what I wanted done as long as the restorer was working on particular areas - like a negative wedge kit while he was working on the disc brakes.... After I get it I will actually be doing another $5000 in added mods over the coming months and or even years. The car will already be about perfect when I get it back, so there is no rush on the rest.

You could even go to a place which will build you one from the frame up to your personal specs for around $25K if you are not to intense ; ). No rust, no holes.... ready to roll.

OR........., write to VH1 (or maybe it's MTV) I think it is. They have a show in which people write in and request your kind of help with their rides. West Coast Customs takes the car and totally pimps it out and hands it back to you. Check 'em out online.... Who knows? Play it up how granny or whoever left you this family treasure.... etc.....

As the saying goes.... "DON'T THROW GOOD MONEY AFTER BAD!"

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

at 19 Apr 2004, V'ger [ snipped-for-privacy@snowcrest.net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I doubt that will work. You are talking about MTV's PimpMyRide show. They already did a 60's Mustang. Now I wasn't to thrilled with the sky mural headliner but otherwise the car looked pretty good although definately not a classic restoration with a 10" LCD in the headliner. But otherwise a very nice looking car. Compared to the wreck it was. I wonder how good a job they do under the skin. It had a hole in the floorboards and their fix looked a bit like a quicky weld a sheet of metal over it type of job. Hard to say as they went over it quickly.

Maybe the OP should try the other show. I believ it's Discovery channel that does something similar with their 'Overhaul' show...

Reply to
Paul

This isn't the answer I was hoping for, but thank you for the feedback. So, basically you guys are telling me it would be cheaper to buy another car, than to try to repair the body of badly rusted body.

Now I'm concerned that what I describe as badly rusted, might not be. Is it possible that what I consider bad, may not be? Suppose I need to drive it to a body shop to verify how "bad" it is.

Thanks, StefanG.

Reply to
StefanGrose

That would be a very good idea. Sorry, but all we can do is go by your description of the condition, and your initial description gave the impression that there wasn't a lot holding it together. And better to be honest with you than build up your hopes only to see them destroyed later. I generally estimate things to the negative side. If it can cost between 100 and 100 dollars, I will lean toward the 1000. To expect 100 and suddenly hear 1000 can be a shock. I do the same for vacation planning, food budget, etc.

Better to have money left over than to come up short. Same thing with your car. Would you rather we said, just go to a shop and they'll fix it, and then the shop quotes you 6000 total FOR PARTS.... and another

12000 for labor, when for the price of the parts you could buy >> Sorry... it IS "MTV Cribs"

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

"StefanGrose" wrote Suppose I need

That's the LAST thing I would do. I would contact the local MCA chapter or at least a local early Mustang club. They would know pretty well what needs to be done and can send you in the right direction for bodywork. I would NEVER just show up and ask for an estimate unless you plan on getting many estimates so you know you're not getting screwed. I've had 6 paint/body estimates in the last year on my '66 HCS that I'm trying to finish. The quotes have been between $5k and $11k.

Reply to
Scott Williams

Very good point about who to have check it out. I missed that, but the point was that someone with expertise would be better than guessing at how bad it might be.

Hey, I can get you a paint job for under $600.... MAACO is running a special..... LOL.. Earl Schibe, wheer are you when we need you???? ROFLMAO ; )

Seriously though, for my 66 FB I was quoted between $2700 by a classic artist with body and pa>