Nashville - WOW! (caution, long)

After all the brew ha ha, we decided to make the run to Nashville on Sunday. Not a damn thing of interest on the program left, but we thought we should check it out anyway.

This meant that I would have to finally have to get around to cleaning Shug up right and proper after our 6 weeks of being on the road with her.

I spent all day on Saturday scrubbing cleaning the poor little thing. She bit me twice and I had to make three passes with the buffer to get all the accumulative crap off of her. There were tiny flecks of tar, little bits of my bug collection and lord only knows what that weird orange spray was that covered both sides and fenders. I had given her a lick and a promise before, but it was time to pay up on the promise, and pay I did!

After 8:00 Saturday night Shug was well waxed shined and shampooed, smelling like a nice clean car. With the intoxicating scent of fresh leather still in our noses we staggered into the house to scrounge up some supper and fell into bed by nine.

It was a beautiful day for the drive. All the trees are in bloom out here, white dogwood, pink crabapple and so many things just bursting out in new foliage that it was a hundred miles of pure viewing pleasure.

As we drove along just north of Nashville we started seeing Mustangs going the opposite way in pretty good numbers. I muttered softly "Geeze Shug, by the time we get there there's only going to be one Mustang left... YOU!"

We turned off the main highway and headed toward the speedway and an 03 Cobra with a cocky looking heavy set guy behind the wheel on our tail. He decided to show us how big and bad his 03 was and romped on it to pass us. He never really LOOKED at us, it was more that "out of the corner of his eye thing" so he could pretend that he wasn't being an idiot. Being the wonderful little darlin that I am *halo twinkles here* as he got along side us I pointed furiously behind us... so the idiot would SEE the Sheriff's car that was about 10 car lengths behind us. I literally saved his ass.

He didn't acknowledge a thing but did a hasty slow down and fell in behind us, then dropped way below the 70 mph speed limit to let the Sheriff and I go along unencumbered by his testosterone overload.

We then fell in with about a dozen other Mustangs headed for the Speedway and just settled on in for the rest of the drive. It was so cool. Some on trailers, some driving, all polished and cleaning in the morning sunshine and everyone had a broad grin on their face as they were driving down the highway.

When we got there, all I could think was.... "HEY! I JUST SPENT A WHOLE DAY DETAILING MY DAMN CAR!! Whatta ya mean I have to park out here in the dirt!!!???"

Naw, really, I expected it... it wasn't really a big deal. Parking was free anyway!

WOW, I have never seen so many Mustangs in all my life. It was like a beehive made up of pony emblems. There were some fantastic cars up there and one old yeller Ford Pick-em-up truck that made my heart skip a beat.

There were so many that eventually they began to run together in something of a blur. We were just blown away by some of the cars out there but there were three that really made an impression on me.

1) (I think) a blue 03 6 cylinder. Oh, sorry... SUPERCHARGED 6 cylinder. It had everything.. a kick butt paint job with a ghost pony that led to kind of a flame pattern and , well, I will post photos if you want me to, it is just too pretty to describe. It was definitely my favorite in the whole show.

2) The 05 GT. All I can say is prolly too much. A gal I was talking to and I agreed (She has a 97 Cobra) but she stated it perfectly: "It looks like an ugly old nag that someone threw a saddle at" It's too retro/European/big/ugly/out of proportion. We (Dick too) didn't like it a bit. When the guy from Ford decided to come over and start it up for everyone to ohhh and ahhhh over, I looked at Dick, then the gal next to me and it all began with a smirk. She and I both started giggling and almost didn't stop. It sounded WEAK. I hollered at him "PUT SOME PIPES ON IT!!!" and he laughed. Anyway, my review of the 05.... wouldn't have one unless you gave it to me. Then, I would trade it off on something else. It has a big "roman nose" and is just horrible all over more than anywhere else. I think it's a rebirth of the Mustang II only a lot bigger and uglier. They at least had some character.

3) A silver 67 (I think it was a 67, looked like a 67 to me, but what do I know) All I can say about this car is.... "In my dreams"

It was a fun morning and we enjoyed looking at the cars and talking to folks. We didn't spend much because the ATM was fresh out of money so we left around 1:00 and headed for home in our now dust covered looking little plain Jane Cobra talking about if we would like to do some things to her so we could park in the shade next time and show her off instead of leaving her out in the dust.

In 5 years, I hope to be better prepared.

Reply to
SVTKate

Sounded like a great time Kate!!

Sucks I couldn't get down there. My Sister in law live 15 miles from the Speedway. She has a newborn and a 2 year old, so I didn't want to impose on them. Motels were booked up LONG ago....

I like the new '05's myself!

There are enough hints to my old 69 Mach I that make me want to but one!

Mods can do WONDERS!!! Just watch any see what folks come up with!

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

at 19 Apr 2004, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:VtRgc.13312$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Ghost pony? Blue Mustang? Please post pics of that. Sounds like what I'd love to see on Pony. ;-) Thanks hon. BTW, I got the power locks in and wired to my alarm system. Works like a charm. Not even $45 in parts and I could have done it cheaper if I'd gone to the U-Pull-It for the 5 pin relays instead of plonking down $11 a piece at Advance Auto. But it was s sunday afternoon, the yard was closed and I wanted it done. :-)

A HowTo on this, for other V6/GTS owners who's like to have power locks, is on the website in my signature. Just click on the SPECS link and scroll down...

Reply to
Paul

Good for you Kate. Glad you went. Hope you took the sunblock. As for the

05 GT, Ford, IMO needs to lighten up on the heavy retro styling and hint on something new and different. The ability to creat new design innovations appears to be a lost art. Although I'm sure they'll sell like hotcakes in the beginning, they could end up litering dealor lots over time....

-- Mike

93 Cobra

Reply to
Mike R

Good job Paul! I'm so glad to hear that you got them installed and it was not a major headache or wallet buster. I totally over exposed those photos, but I will get them up hopefully tomorrow

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I agree with you Mike, something new would have been a lot more fun. On the up side of that though, at least now I know I won't be wanting to go in the hole a gazillion dollars to get one LOL

Kate

> [...]

| > 3) A silver 67 (I think it was a 67, looked like a 67 to me, but what do I | > know) All I can say about this car is.... "In my dreams" | >

| > It was a fun morning and we enjoyed looking at the cars and talking to | > folks. We didn't spend much because the ATM was fresh out of money so we | > left around 1:00 and headed for home in our now dust covered looking little | > plain Jane Cobra talking about if we would like to do some things to her so | > we could park in the shade next time and show her off instead of leaving | > her out in the dust. | >

| > In 5 years, I hope to be better prepared.

I'll have to see an 05 and decide for myself. From the pictures I've seen they look nice. The only complaint I have, and it's a showstopper for me, is the big ole ugly spoiler. What's the deal with spoilers? I mean why does a 4 door Kia need one? A Saturn sedan?

I would rather have a vinyl top!!!

Mort

98 Cobra (I know it has a spoiler)

Reply to
Mort Guffman

at 19 Apr 2004, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:tB_gc.14005$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

It actually was fun doing Kate and well worth it. I'd forgotten how handy powerlocks are. No more having to fumble with keys if my hands are full of stuff, just a quick push on my alarm clicker is all that is needed...

Great! Thanks hon. Glad you had fun even though you got off late...

Reply to
Paul

Huh????????????

Don Manning

I'd forgotten how

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Hhhhhmmmmmm.

I wonder if Mr. Kate knows about this.............

Reply to
Ralph Snart

O_O

Reply to
Tungsten

LOL... he likes to watch!

| > > Good job Paul! | > > I'm so glad to hear that you got them installed and it was not a | > > major headache or wallet buster. | >

| > It actually was fun doing Kate and well worth it. | | Hhhhhmmmmmm. | | I wonder if Mr. Kate knows about this............. | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Think I could use this as a reference?

Reply to
SVTKate

at 20 Apr 2004, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:Gmbhc.15979$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Sure you can hon. :-)

Reply to
Paul

at 20 Apr 2004, 2.3Sleeper [ snipped-for-privacy@mwcmustangs.com] wrote in news:c633va$7gog5$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-165082.news.uni-berlin.de:

Get your mind out of the gutter Don. :-)

Reply to
Paul

"Paul" wrote

Hey, I had to read it a few times myself. :)

Reply to
Scott Williams

at 20 Apr 2004, Scott Williams [ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Blame it on Bill Gates, his OS must've eaten the ',' I put between doing and Kate. :-)

Reply to
Paul

Wow, I probably passed right by you ... To tell the truth, I didn't even go to the late model side... You should have stayed for the Charlie Daniels Band concert!

Reply to
Schussener

Are you a member on Tennesspeed.net?

Reply to