'71 Driveshaft Question

Hey all - vehicle is a '71 Sportsroof, 302, c4, 8 inch rear end, 3.90 gears

The driveshaft is out of balance, and I don't like the shop manuals balance technique of using hose clamps. Took it to a drive line shop and they are telling me it is a two piece driveshaft with some type of hardened rubber inner balancer??? They are telling me it can't be balanced because of this. can someone please explain this to me. I am not seeing any information about this in the shop manuals.

I asked what it would cost to have them make me an aluminum driveshaft and they quoted $200. How can they be $200 cheaper than the magazine advertisements? markup? Any thing I should verify before I give them the go ahead?

Thanks for your help Scott

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

They are right. Ford put that two piece drive shaft in a lot of cars. As a performance part it just isn't strong enough. And it does tend to wear out, just like any other rubber part. Building a drive shaft isn't that hard. $200 is a little on the cheap side, but not tremendously so. I wonder if that includes a new yoke? If it doesn't, spring for one. If they've been in business a while and offer a guarantee on their work, I'd have them build it. And don't forget to replace the transmission tailshaft seal.

Reply to
.boB