ARGH! Another u-joint/driveshaft question.

'76 CJ5 with dana 20 transfer case. The u-joint on the front of the transfer case blew out on the highway. I'm trying to replace it. I got under the Jeep a few minutes ago with new j-joint in hand. I've never done any u-joint work before. I looked closely at the end of the driveshaft and saw that one of the caps from the old u-joint was still in place. I was able to tap it out with a hammer and a punch. It looks to me like the only way to install the new u-joint would be to pull 2 caps on opposite sides of the u-joint, then put the u-joint into place and then slide the caps over the ends, through the holes in the end of the driveshaft. Well, the problem I'm having now is that those holes got slightly banged up (not too bad) so that I can't fit the caps into the holes now. I think if I could get the driveshaft up on my workbench that I may be able to do a very small amount of cleanup work with my drill to open up the holes the tiny bit they need to be opened up so that I can install the u-joint. This driveshaft is a 2-piece unit and I'm wondering if there is a way to separate the 2 pieces so that I won't have to unhook the front end of the driveshaft. Is it made to be separated into 2 pieces or do I just need to unhook the front of the driveshaft. I realize the the "right thing to do" here would probably be to buy a whole new driveshaft, but the end of the driveshaft I have really is only VERY SLIGHTLY deformed and I think I can clean it up enough to use it. Can I safely separate my driveshaft into 2 pieces and then put it back together once I get the end of it cleaned up? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
Shaggie

Don't separate the shaft. Disconnect it from the front yoke.

Put it on the bench, like you described, and just clean it up so the caps will fit. Unless it is really banged up, it should be fine.

If you are not sure how to do this job, I would suggest taking the shaft to a shop that you trust, and at least allow them to install the joint for you. Special tools make this job a snap.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

You should be able to COMPLETELY remove the drive shaft from the vehicle and work on those joints on your bench. If you are doing this from under the vehicle, you are doing it wrong.

Reply to
CRWLR

OK, I took Jerry's advice and removed the whole driveshaft. I'll put up pictures later. To make a long story short, I believe "the operation was a success" due in no small part to the input I received from this group. Thanks again, everyone! I got the u-joint pressed into the driveshaft and reinstalled the driveshaft along with a new tranny mount, and got the skidplate bolted back up there. Tomorrow I'll check all of the fluid levels, put a couple of gallons of gas in the Jeep, and see if I can't get it started up. When I last got it home after the u-joint had failed I was running on fumes. I let it sit a couple of weeks and when I went to start it up, it wouldn't start. I'm almost positive it's just out of gas. The only thing I'm worried about now is how smoothly it'll shift because after the u-joint went out it was hard to keep it in 1st and 3rd gear (3 speed manual tranny) as if though something got shifted around under the floorboards. Hopefully I've got that all lined up right now and it'll shift ok. If not, I know a group of people that I'll have to bug with a few more questions. :-/ Thanks again.

Reply to
Shaggie