Is this a true statement??

Factory upgraded 17" wheels (chromed by the dealer). This car did not have the standard 16" wheels, it came from the factory with 17" wheels. Please note that all Mustang GT's that came from the factory with a 16" standard wheels have speed governors built in! The top speed is limited by the governor at 120 mph. All mustangs with 17" wheels came with "Z" rated tires, therefore there is no speed governor. This is an important fact not too many people know about! Not that anyone needs to go that fast, but it's nice to know there isn't something installed to limit your speed.

I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I've taken my 98 Mustang GT to 147mph roughly w/ the stock wheels. I don't think it's true.

-Mike

is Mightier than the sword'.

Reply to
<memset

It is true. If a Mustang came from the factory with H rated tires, 130 mph, it had a speed limited by the computer to 127 mph. The '98 GT had the 17" wheels as an option but the standard 16" wheels had H rated tires on them, thus had the speed limiter in place. All the V6 mustangs have this same 127 mph limit, and the '03-'04 Cobra is computer limited to 155 mph due to unsafe aerodynamic lift created by the body at high speeds.

Reply to
WraithCobra

147 huh. Did you verify the speedometer is accurate ? Doubt a 98 GT would reach that.

Rein

True, It's pure a liability issue to prevent overspeeding the lower rated tires as you mentioned. It's built into the ECU to kill the fuel at a preset speed IIRC. StuK

than the sword'.

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

You're referring to my ad for my Mustang for sale. Actually, I learned this fact from this newsgroup a few years ago!

When I purchased the car, for bargaining power, I told the dealer I didn't care for the 17" wheels, cut the price and change them to 16" wheels. I had to go back 3 times to argue price before purchase. Finally, the dealer agreed to remove the 17" wheels and replace them with 16" factory wheels to get to my price. The next day, when I went to pick up the car, he said that they decided not to change my wheels and just give me the 17s that were already on the car (chromed by the dealer).

Later, through this newsgroup, I found the dealer legally couldn't have changed the wheels because the 16" wheels are H rated and the GT can go faster than it's speed rating.

I originally thanked the deaker for leaving the 17s, and then later I found it was just another dealer trick!

Hamid

Mightier than the sword?.

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Hamid

OT a little but this sheds light on why my 93 Sentra cut out at 120 2 days ago then kicked right back in when it had slowed to 110....

Gumby619

"Drive it like you stole it, if it breaks it needed fixing anyways"

Reply to
Gumby619

Ever tried to bring a 98 GT to that speed? I have. And I was wrong.. mine are 17" not 16".. thought they were stock but I guess aren't. Bought the car used.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Rein
** Factory upgraded 17" wheels (chromed by the dealer). This car did not ** have the standard 16" wheels, it came from the factory with 17" ** wheels. Please note that all Mustang GT's that came from the factory ** with a 16" standard wheels have speed governors built in! The top ** speed is limited by the governor at 120 mph. All mustangs with 17" ** wheels came with "Z" rated tires, therefore there is no speed ** governor. This is an important fact not too many people know about! ** Not that anyone needs to go that fast, but it's nice to know there ** isn't something installed to limit your speed.

Most all cars are speed/RPM limited these days. Where the limits are depend on the engine and OEM tire size. My '98 GT did come with Z-rated rubber, and I have no idea where the speed limiter kicks in; I've had it up to 155 once before, and that was fast enough for me.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** 147 huh. Did you verify the speedometer is accurate ? ** Doubt a 98 GT would reach that.

I've hit 155 mph. in mine. My speedometer is less than 1/2 mph. off at 100 mph, and I have verified this personally. At 155, who knows; I had my hands full at that speed, and didn't care if others demanded proof of a certified calibration.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

No computer limit on Mustang GT's except where noted earlier in the thread; All V6's and GT's w/16" wheels/H rated rubber 127 mph, '03-'04 Cobra's 155 mph.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Never had anybody calibrate it... dunno how to test it.. closest thing to testing is the electronic radar "your speed is" signs sometimes found on the interstate... I was going 80 & it said my speed was 80. I'm not gonna argue about it though... if you wanna feel that I'm full of donkey doo then go ahead.. I have too much respect for you to get into a flame war with ya.. your posts are generally very informative & I don't have the time to engage in an argument.. not that you initialized one, but I"m just saying. There ARE some tards on this NG that have posted before.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset
155? You've got balls bigger than a bull ;D. I hit 147 & started slowing down... felt like a small bump was going to send my car flipping. It was pretty close to redlining in 5th gear too... so I don't think she had much more in her. Probably 150~152 max. Don't think I'll ever be reaching 147 again though... too scary.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Hehe, that's pretty fast. I bet it wasn't as scary as 120mph in a Tempo :-)

Reply to
Zed
** 155? You've got balls bigger than a bull ;D. I hit 147 & started slowing ** down... felt like a small bump was going to send my car flipping. It was ** pretty close to redlining in 5th gear too... so I don't think she had much ** more in her. Probably 150~152 max. Don't think I'll ever be reaching 147 ** again though... too scary.

No elephant-sized stones here. It was just a stupid idea on a morning without enough coffee in me. I'd had the car for only a week or two, and thought I'd see how fast that big dog would run. Even with the stock GT suspension, it hugged the road well, but things happen awful damn fast at that speed, and I won't be doing it again on a public road.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** No computer limit on Mustang GT's except where noted earlier in the thread; ** All V6's and GT's w/16" wheels/H rated rubber 127 mph, '03-'04 Cobra's 155 ** mph.

That sounds reasonable. I still believe it is a liability issue due to the max. speed rating on the tires. Surely Ford knows that someone, somewhere will want to see just how fast that big dog can run? If the tires can't take a sustained 150+ mph. run, they're going to have to pay some wrongful death suits.

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** You're referring to my ad for my Mustang for sale. Actually, I ** learned this fact from this newsgroup a few years ago!

** Later, through this newsgroup, I found the dealer legally couldn't

** have changed the wheels because the 16" wheels are H rated and the GT ** can go faster than it's speed rating. ** ** I originally thanked the deaker for leaving the 17s, and then later I ** found it was just another dealer trick!

I've heard this from more than one person. The dealer acts as though they've done you a favor, when in fact, they legally could not sell a car with underrated tires. Good buyer tactic!

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:10:02 -0800, JD Adams wrote something wonderfully witty:

My god, an honest man. I decided to pull a similar stupid stunt in my Vette on a very long bridge @ 3am once. Basically the same end result. Scared the livin shit out of myself. I have been told I am not allowed to use a broadsword to disprove ?The Pen is Mightier than the sword?.

Reply to
ZombyWoof