74 Ford Mustang II Mach I

Hey guys, I've been here for a while but I finally joined the club!

I bought a Mustang II Mach I w/28 v6 for $40 today. Had a blown out freeze plug and rear pass quarter, and front fender damage. One of the 6cyl's was low (60psi!) on compression, and the engine felt really weak when I drove it all of a mine. So I pulled the heads, and it revealed good headgaskets and good valves. DOH! So now im thinking its the piston rings saying ta-ta.

Anway, since the 2.8 is a crappy engine to begin with, I'd like to put a new motor in this car. The car is an AT.

Which motors will mate to this trans? How hard would it be to put a Mopar /6 (225) in this car w/(of course) a 904 Torqueflite?.

And lastly, anybody have a motor that will fit for sale?

Thanks,

Carl

PS. Sorry if it is dual posted, my news groups server sux

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Did I catch that right? You want to put a slant six in it? That motors a tad long for that engine bay. The '74 was not offered with V8 ( the only year Mustang that a V8 was not an option.) Ford got wise to their customers complaints and redesigned the car to take a 302 in

1975. Take a look at the front header panel above the grille on your '74 it is about 3 to 4 inches wide, then look at a '75 to '78 Mustang. that header is barely an inch wide and the grille is almost flush. Ford pushed the rad bulkhead forward a bit to clear the 302 and allow larger rad etc. Having said that you can get a 302 in there but you'd have to approach it like a Pinto swap as the engine bay is virtually the same. A nice Turbo T-bird mill would be a cool swap if the EFI wiring doesn't scare ya!

Here's a link for the MII Good Luck StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

IF the 302 won't fit then the Turbo 2.3 is exactly what I'd recommend. Good idea StuK. What a sleeper that'd make!

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

Ty for the fast reply. I'd rather not go 302 (or any other v8) only because I don't want to deal with the front suspenson. Any ideas on any other six that will fit with the trans I have? With a different AT?

Carl

tad long for that

an option.) Ford

302 in 1975. Take

wide and the grille

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

No inline 6 will fit into that car without some serious changes to make the engine compartment larger. A ford smallblock V8 was tight fit as I remember.

Now this another what if it were me time... If I had such a car and wanted to bring new life into I would probably choose a turbocharged ford 2.3L ford out of an XR4Ti or Tbird turbo coupe. The problem is of course finding the junkyard bits from a 4cylinder mustang II to fit since it's a V6 car.

Other than that, I'd look to a V6 out of a recent (99 up mustang). Dunno how easy or hard that is to fit in a II.

Reply to
Brent P

Try a SOHC 4.0L out of a Ranger/Explorer .

That is the V6 that will be in the 05+ Mustangs.

Reply to
Katmandu

Carl, The front suspension really isn't a problem. I did a 302 swap in one I had back in '82. This is what I can remember I did:

The rubber engine mounts need to be changed and are tough to get now. The steel frame mounts needed moved back an inch. Driveshaft was shortened an inch. I also spaced the swaybar at least an inch lower at the frame. It will batter the oil pan up if the clearance isn't there.

As mentioned earlier, the radiator support needs to be dealt with. I got a donor support from a salvage yard and trimmed it right to the seam. After cutting the center of my cars support out (neatly cropped to about 6 inches inboard of that same seem) the donor support was a bolt in installation using existing holes in support.

Then get a '75-'78 V8 radiator. I had to trim some of its side brackets off. Get a water pump that goes with the radiator you've got.

Switch bell housing on the stock 4 spd trans. Clutch pedal and cable also needs changed.

I did replace the springs but only because one was already broken.

I think I got it all. Its been a while. Wayne

'03 Jag X-Type '94 Geo Tracker '87 F150 '79 MG Midget '88 Ford Festiva - hey! this is for sale!

Carl

tad long for that

an option.) Ford

302 in 1975. Take