'88 GT, 5sp shifter suddenly broke... Seen this?

I was pulling up to my house in my daily driver stock 88 5.0 GT when the shifter suddenly went limp. No noise, no warning, nothing. It was as if the H pattern just disappeared and I was left with shifter that could make giant circles as far as it could move until it hit plastic on the console insert. I thought I was dead, but it turned out if I felt around long enough I could find the gears and drive it - there doesn't seem to be any damage to the gears, just some problem with the shift linkage. Anyone know what broke? More importantly, can it be fixed without droping the tranny?

Thanks, Jay

Reply to
OK_OK

unscrew the shift knob and pull the square plastic center console insert w/ boot upward. This will allow access to the shifter, either the bolts came out of the upper shifter handle or the rubber isolator gave way. No need to remove transmission if it is one of these two which it more than likely is.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy