89 LX fuel pump question

I am assuming that the buzzing noise from the rear of the car is a bad diaphragm. Can the diaphragm be replaced or is it a complete pump job? The pump seems to have enough oomph to pressure up the system, but when the engine in running it makes noise constantly.

TIA

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy

How loud is it? I have never heard a quiet one. I think they all make noise like that. I have heard lots of fuel pumps too, if it isn't super loud and everything is working, I would let it be. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Loud enough to be heard when driving, and it has become a constant thrumming. When the ignition is turned on it runs for two or three seconds and pauses. As soon as the car is started it runs continually making a sound like a sixty cycle buzz in a stereo system.

What is the easiest way to get at it?

JJ

Reply to
Jeremy

Well, if it is too loud and it bothers you, the easiest way to get to the fuel pump is to pull down the gas tank from underneath the car. Its a job, but it isn't too bad with the proper tools and an empty tank. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

These pumps are rotor style pumps... no diaphragm. When you tuen the key to "run" the pump will come on for about 2 seconds to charge the fuel rail and wont come on again umtil the PCM sees rpm signal. There are no guarrantys that the new pump will be any quieter than the old one... been there, done that, got the hat...

Jim Warman

Why would it start making noticeable noise and running continuously at the 150k miles mark? It sounds like it is cycling at full speed and this is the first time I have been able to hear it over normal tyre noise.

JJ

Reply to
Jeremy

That's what mine did before it started going bad. I never noticed it until a couple of years after I bought the car, another 6-8 months and it started cavatating. I replced it before it went out and I have a 190 LPH that I naver hear.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

better replace it before it dies on you in the middle of nowhere. I have never replaced one but was about to do so but then I sold my car. It didn't look like a difficult job at all. Best thing to do is to run the tank as empty as you can do. This way it is easier to handle the tank once it comes out. All it takes is a couple bolts/screws and fuel connections before it comes out. Do a search on google and you'll find it. I think there is also a write-up on stangnet.com

and wear safety glasses. don't want to get fuel in your eyes. (or dust/dirt when you are under there). Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

It may be going bad if it's noticeably louder than in the past but as Jim has said, the new one could be just as loud. The pump does run continuosly under normal operation with the engine running as it is a return type fuel system. The pump runs continuosly, a fuel pressure regulator maintains the correct pressure at the injector rail and the unneeded fuel passes through the regulator and back to the tank to be reused.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Thank you, I did not realize that it was a constant use pump. However, the change in noise level is so sudden and by such a large factor that I am going to jerk it out and have a look.

Id there a filter at the gas tank end that should be changed, or any other recommended procedures while I have the tank on the ground?

JJ

Reply to
Jeremy

almost right. Newer cars do not have a return line anymore. This also helps the fuel stay cooler because if won't get pumped around all the time. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

He is asking about an '89, the returnless system started with the '99 model year.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Get some of thos spring release clip thingies for A/C and fuel lines. Changing the pump is easy, getting the fuel pump cover off is a major bitch....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Reply to
Ironrod