89 Mustang 5.0 fuel pump noisy

Hi - I just bought a very stock 5.0 LX convertible that has been sitting for about a year before I bought it - everything is fine except that I notice that the fuel pump is noisy all the time - it makes a low buzzing noise all the time that reminds me of the seat belt warning buzzer from the 72 valiant my mother used to own

Basically I am wondering if this is a sign of a failling pump - I had a fuel pump go in a dodge van and it basically made a loud humming noise before it went

Thanks for any assistance or advice

Reply to
donsjunkk

Chances are the pump is working too hard. Try changing the inline fuel filter (if it has one) first and see if it goes away. If not,unless the noise is normal for this model, I don't know, replace the pump or you will be stranded shortly.

A mechanic gave me a tip about extending the life of electric, in the tank, pumps and that is never let your fuel level go below 1/2 or at worst

1/4 tank because the fuel acts as a coolant for the pump. Heat and clogged fuel filters are the great destroyer of fuel pumps!
Reply to
Kristen

When the pump in my 89 LX got loud enough to notice all the time it lasted about another 8 months and started going bad. When you change it, go ahead and use a high output, because when you do decide to do anything to it you don't want to have to do it again. Pump replacement is really quick and easy, it's getting the cover on and of that's a real PITA.

Reply to
WindsorFox

I still say this is crap. It's the fuel flowing THROUGH the pump that cools it. .. the advice about (partially) clogged filter is good, though, for exactly that reason.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I tend to agree, but it can't hurt :)

The fuel flowing through the pump goes right through the motor (believe it or not, sparks from the electrical motor and all!) and acts as a coolant as well as a lubricant.

The reason the entire thing doesn't explode is because there is no O2 in motor.

Every pump I have ever changed is covered by a neoprene sock which doesn't absorb liquid very well as far as I can tell. IOW it's not soaking wet to the point where you have to wring it out like a sponge when you remove the pump from the tank so how much fuel really comes in contact with the outside of the pump?

I dunno???

At any rate, running a tank low is a bad idea in any case. A clogged fuel filter will cause pump whine and ultimate failure as well.

Reply to
Dana Bush

Yeah, when they start to whine, I'd replace it before you get stuck. Even under the best of circumstances the OEM pumps on the Fox mustangs were somewhat loud, but that seems overly loud and a legitimate source of concern.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

I replaced mine a few years ago. Too noisy. Nice and quiet since. I would also replace the relay under the driver seat. Fred

89 LX
Reply to
Fred V.

That's a very good piece of advice because pumps that are working too hard can draw more current and fry the contacts on the relays controlling them.

Reply to
SteveO