90 LX AOD

I have a '90 LX convertible -5.0 AOD.

The shifter shows that I only have selceted access to "First" Drive" & "OD." I thought I could remedy this with a MegaShifter (1-2, 2-3, 3-4).

As most of you know, this doesn't change anything. Before I popped out the tabs for a "four-speed automatic" setup, I found out that it isn't just stock the shifter blocking out second gear.

Does anyone know of a modification to the valve-body or an aftermarket valvebody that will allow me to manually select second gear on my shifts.

I'm relatively new to playing with Fords, so I'd really appreciate some input.

-Donald in Austin

begin 666 Unit335.vcf M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"E9%4E-)3TXZ,BXQ#0I..CM5;FET,S,U#0I&3CI5;FET M,S,U#0I%34%)3#M04D5&.TE.5$523D54.G5N:70S,S5 >6%H;V\N8V]M#0I2 @158Z,C P-# T,3A4,3@P-#4R6@T*14Y$.E9#05)$#0H` ` end

Reply to
Unit335

"Unit335" wrote in news:arzgc.16401$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com:

Joe

No mod needed, as I recall with my AOD cars(I think my AXOD Taurus was the same way). If you want to hold 2nd, keep your foot to floor and put the selector back into 1 after the auto 1-2 shift point occurs, the governor will hold it in 2nd. So it would be like this... shift manually up from 1st to D for 2nd, then back down to 1st to hold 2nd, then back up again to D for 3rd, which will come at the shift point when the vehicle reaches it or right away if beyond.

For downshifting, if you put the selector in 1st, it will stay in 2nd until slowed to 50-40 MPH, then shift to 1st.

The police / severe service AOD through 1991 has a 1st gear lockout - a minor valve body revision. The selections shown on the dash/shifter are

2-D-OD, and the 1-2 shift is always automatic, but you can hold 2nd much easier.

Will that help?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Thanks.

I've dropped them an email to see what they have to say. Their website is a bit odd, at least from the way my system handles it.

Best I can tell, a 7A100-AOD-CRS valve body should do it. Is this something you did to your '93?

-Donald in Austin

Reply to
Unit335

I'll try it next time out and see if I can make it work.

Thanks,

-Donald in Austin

Reply to
Unit335

"Unit335" wrote in news:WDFgc.9890$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com:

I wish! My AOD's basically a stock dealer-rebuild, but the guy who did it told me he gave me all he could on it. Feels nice and crisp - much better than the OEM, so who am I not to believe him?

There's a guy who used to frequent the group a while ago who bought the valve body for his AOD and he loved it. It had the 1-2-3 shift with the OD lockout.

The Cruiser looks great, but if you can swing it I'd go for the 7A100- AOD-STT Terminator (calibration 1) with the wiring kit (7G276-ODWK- WC).

Joe

"Unit335" wrote in news:%FFgc.9911$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com:

It works (and it's great for the strip), but it's murder on the tranny. For longevity, the valve body is the best bet.

Joe

Whoa...that's a mouthful :-)

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

I'd have to agree.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Now who would that be? What's up Joe ;)

Kevin

Reply to
KevinM

"KevinM" wrote in news:SFehc.24908$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Sonofafreakinbitch! Look who crawls out of the woodwork! So Kev, have you been lurking or did somebody (Michael?) tip you off? Things are good - how 'bout you? Glad to hear from you, dude! So what're you driving these days - still got the truck? What's the current paint job look like? ;) Talk to me man!

Later, Joe

Reply to
Joe

I just happened to be bored and decided to check out the old newsgroup for kicks and there you were. Same old stuff here man. Staying swamped with paint work at home and doing vinyl grpahics for my 9-5 job now. So busy with paint work that I haven't had time to do a damn thing with the truck. I tried to get it painted in time for a beach trip...last June...and got as far as the last round of priming, it's been in that stage since LOL.

You still have the Dakota?

Kevin

Reply to
KevinM

"KevinM" wrote in news:9quhc.26831$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Good timing.

During these times, busy is good.

Looks great lowered and with the grille. How about a nice black paint job with some orange/red flames coming off the front? ;) Anything going on under the hood?

Yup. Lovin' every minute of driving it. Here's some pix of the LX and the R/T:

Talked with Ed, Ronnie, or Michael recently? Michael's hanging out in here, but I've only seen Ed and Ronnie a couple times in the last year or so.

Joe

I just put that grill in a couple months ago. For now the paint scheme is black over red, with a simulated (airbrushed)chrome trim seperating the two, with athin orange pinstripe under that that will become a small flame on the bed.

Under the hood is stock as a rock and staying that way!

Man they both look great. I could see some ghost flames on the R/T :) Your LX even though it's a different color always reminded me of mine. Makes me miss it real bad. I saw it at a car show last month, it's in good hands. I passed on a complete 79 coupe for $300 last week. I'm a dumbass.

Not really. I know Ed's busy doing alot of tuning on blower cars and such. Ronnie and Lisa are building a house, I'm sure he's busy with that.

Kev

Reply to
KevinM

"KevinM" wrote in news:xN8ic.106362$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Sounds nice. I'd love to see pix when you get it done.

Aw, that's a shame. ;)

Yeah, it could definitely use something. The truck came with the graphics on the doors, and the same thing was on the tailgate but it looked too big. I told the dealer to take everything off the tailgate except the 'R/T'. Looks way better now.

Glad somebody's taking care of it. The LX is staying in the family indefinitely. My son's had his permit since January (he gets his license next Jan), and he's driven the LX a few times. We go out and I make him put gas in it. Of course, I pay for it (for now). At any rate, he's hooked. He gets bummed when he goes back to driving the Shoebox. :)

Man, $300 for a '79 is a steal, especially if it's complete! Why'd you pass?

Good for all them - they have lives! :) Kev, is your e-mail good?

Joe

Because I'm a stooge? No, really I don't have time or space for another project.

I hardley use it, you can get me at work kevin_at_hiimpactsigns.com Replace _at_ with @ of course.

Reply to
KevinM

"KevinM" wrote in news:s59jc.40985$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

I hear ya. I've got about a half dozen things I'd like to tackle, but there's just no time.

Done. I'll talk to you later.

Joe

Kevin, is that YOU?? :-) Good to "see" ya!

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

It really is him, Mike. Did you see the pix of the primered truck? Way cool.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TurboMike) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m18.aol.com:

Reply to
Joe

Dat's me. How's it hangin?