91 LX engine swap to a Ranger Diesel

Hey All,

My 91 LX 4cyl engine is on its last legs. I am tired of putting money into the engine but the body and top are in great shape so getting rid of the whole car does not seem like an option. I was thinking of swapping out the factory engine to the old Ford Ranger diesel. From research it looks like it should fit. I am not a transmission guy so that is the only thing I still need to research in detail.

Has anyone tried to do this with success or looked into it?

I am only getting around 20 mpg now and figured with the diesel (even a refurb) I should get upwards of 27-28.

Thanks, Pete

Reply to
Upstate Cip

Most original swap on here, in at least a year.. but a lot of work for 1 or 2 mpg of what might be higher priced fuel.

My wife's 88 vert got 27-28 before I 'turboed' it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Don't see why it wouldn't fit. I would use the trans that comes from a ranger to make everything easier. The biggest problem will be the weight. Diesels are very heavy. Pobably close to a 5.0 V8. Suspension is not a problem, just swap in the V8 parts. But You'll probably have to beef up the motor mount area. It would be an expensive project. You'll have to do the math to see if it's worth it to you. In our area, diesel costs more than mid grade gasoline. Have you considered a turbocharged 4 from a Merkur?

Reply to
.boB

Have you ever tried to find Mitsu (2.3L TDI) or Perkins (2.2L) diesel parts for those Rangers?

Can you live with a vehicle that is umpteen times more of a dog, just for a few mpgs more?

The idea is thoughtful, but being that I own a Ranger and see the difficuties those with the diesels face when they do break (and they will), I would recommend dropping in a better cam and porting/polishing the head on the 2.3L gasser.

The 2.3L Lima flows HORRENDOUSLY, especially if you have the 8 spark plug head. Despite that, my Ranger gets mileage close to what a diesel Ranger gets, if not better, for cheaper cost and better parts availability. Do what I suggest and you get better power and fuel mileage. Only if that could have been done at the factory, right?

Reply to
alfredB18

Parts have been one of my main concerns. It looks like for the desiel or Merkur I would be living in the pick & pull yards on Saturday. I guess I still have to sleep on it more and see what I want to do. Maybe just refurbing the engine I have is the way to go.

I am just glad the car started this morning so I could leave the RAM in the garage. (Somtimes the starter does not catch and just spins. I need to inspect the teeth)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Reply to
Upstate Cip

Hey I am considering taking the 460 out and putting a 6.0L (2003-newer) Powerstroke turbo diesel engine and automatic transmission into my 1971 Ford Torino sportsroof... In my 10,000 pound F-450 the engine is very impressive, in a 3,500 pound Torino it would be really really fun. For the novelty, not the mileage, can you imagine all the commotion at the Ford car shows, :-), Just need the right donor truck.

Reply to
351CJ

Now THAT would be cool!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Wow, that would be cool. You'de really have to beef up the entire front frame and suspension to handle all that weight.

Reply to
.boB