91 Mustang GT clicking noise

I've got a clicking noise that I first thought was the fan hitting against the shroud, but after inspection it was not the fan, and seemed to be coming from the belt.

I haven't been able to see anything that could be causing it.

Someone told me it might be a timing issue.

The car runs fine and there's no noticable peformance loss etc. It's just this weird clicking noise. When I accellerate, the noise gets faster.

If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

Check for loose nuts and bolts.

Take the belt off and run it. If it doesn't click then it's the belt or one of the accessories . Check the pulleys are aligned. Then I'd look at the idler pulley ...then the water pump, the alternator, power steering pump ...well, you get the idea. If you couldn't tell by hand spinning the accessories (ones that can be hand-spun), put the belt back on and try the old trick of using a large screwdriver as a stethoscope on each of the spinning accessories...that might help narrow it down if one of them is clicking internally. Be careful.

If it does click with the belt off, focus on the crank pulley area...maybe something is hitting down there.

If thats ok, then it maybe something internal to the engine. An old engine of mine responded to an engine flush and oil change for what was probably a gummed lifter or other valve train item, but it was more a muffled click/tap.

Reply to
Dinsdale

Reply to
Mr. Ford

Worn belts can click. You can remove it and start the engine for a few seconds to be sure.

bradtx

Reply to
B2723m

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah I think it was because of the old fanbelt.

Unfortunately for me when I took the old one off I couldn't put it back on... I suppose because it was old.

So I then had to walk about five miles to the nearest Pep Boys to get a new belt, which fit and didn't make noise :)