Plymouth Acclaim 92'

When I run/idle the car ( V6 ) I can hear clicking irregular sound coming from timing belt / water pump side of the engine .I notice it about a week ago when the noise was more like something is going against metal guard. By then when I sprayed WD40 oil on bottom big pulley ( serpentine belt ) the sound instantly disappeared. Now is more like irregular clicking and spraying does not make any difference. I visually checked timing belt , and looks fine. Water pump does not leak. After few minutes of running the engine the sound is getting quieter. I appreciate any ideas.

Chuck

Reply to
Susanna

I own a 93 Dodge Spirit (4cyl) and after 85K miles I would hear a screeching noise upon stsrtup that slowely disappeared after warm up. Replaced all the belts, and the water pump, and problem solved. The problem with waterpum is that even though it may not show leaks the internal bearing could be failing slowly. Also check the pulleys for wear and tear.

Reply to
Rajsircar

Thanks , I hope it is not engine's internal problem .

Chuck Plymouth Acclaim 92' , V6 , 3speed electronic trans. , 240000 km.

Reply to
Susanna

How do you know that the original poster is actually a woman? For that matter how do we all here know your actually a man? Do you really think that just because the poster's handle is a femine name that this means it's a woman?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Great. Not only mechanically clueless but socially inept as well. Way to go student mechanic.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Chuck,

I had the same problem with my 91 Acclaim. It turned out to be the driveshaft. My noise was more like a clunk than bang. It happened when I made a turn on bump in my driveway.

I would suggest that you inspect both shafts (look for a torn boot).

(Both of my driveshaft were replaced, a year apart, by myself; it's not a hard job and the cost was not high. About $70 from Advance for either shaft. As far as the ball joint goes, use a pry bar and try lifting it. Be careful not to tear the boot on the shaft. If you do replace the shaft make sure they come with "bands" on both ends. (Metal bands hold the rubber boots on, etc.)

Hope this was helpful, Hank

Reply to
Hank