L300.1 clicking noise from A/C

We just acquired a 2004 L300.1, (4cyl) with 37K miles on it. Everything about the car runs and looks great, including the air conditioning.

However, I just noticed that only when the A/C is on med to high and the car is in drive there is a loud clicking noise from under the hood that can only be heard from outside the car. It sounds like the fan hitting on the shroud, but when I popped the hood the noise comes from where the A/C compressor and pulleys are. Turn off the A/C and the noise dissapears.

Am I looking at new pulleys or worse a new compressor? TIA.

Reply to
marx404

I should correct and say it sounds more like a tapping noise rather than a clicking.

Reply to
marx404

well just fyi, it was the tensioner pulley for the compressor gone bad. Replaced it and no more noise.

marx404

Reply to
marx404