93 5.0 LX 5 speed heater problem

Hi , My 5.0 has no heat. Does the heater core always have hot water flowing through it or what?..How can I have absolutely no heat.?. Thanks

Reply to
NigelM

No. It depends where you have your temperature control switch set at.

But yes! It always has Anti-Freeze/Coolant in it!

One of the Primary reasons heater cores clog up is OLD Coolant and NOT getting circulated regularly. Like when the Heater is NOT used during warmer temps, the OLD Coolant just SITS in the Heater Core corroding away the metal.

BTW, it's such a PITA to R/R the heater core, the alot of folks (including me) have simply by-passed the heater core all together! Good thing my car is put up for the winter!

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

Does your temp guage move any? if not the thermostat could be stuck open allowing the coolant to run through the motor at all times not allowing it to heat up any. Thats how it was in my brothers 88 Trans Am. It took almost a half hour to even get a little heat out.

Reply to
John Wiebalk

If thermostat isnt stuck open, I would look into getting the heater core flushed out. A few winters ago mine blew cold air out and was very frustrating. When it warmed up enough to work on the car, I disconnected the hoses leading into the heater core at the firewall and placed a garden hose over one end. I turned the water on slow speed and a short time later a big blob of sediment rolled out. I let it run through for a few minutes and then hooked the hoses back up. I then had heat for the rest of the winter.

Casey

Reply to
David C. Johnson

Yes, you always have water flowing through the heater core. Getting no heat at all can be an indication that your low on water/coolant. Also, run the engine and feel the hoses to see if they are getting hot. If they get hot and still no heat, the flap is not opening inside the heater box.

Reply to
Redhotrush10

Water ONLY FLOWS through the heater core when the Temperature Selector is in the HEAT POSITION!

Otherwise, the WATER just SITS in the Heater Core and WILL CORRODE it over time!

Reply to
Katmandu

I don't think '93 ( or any Fox car) has a heater shutoff valve. The fluid flows constantly and temperature is based on mix door setting regardless of AC on or not. 5.0 cars should have a restrictor on them to stop the core from splitting under high rev situations though. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

You are correct, none of the Mustangs have a shut-off valve. Water flows through them 100% of the time regardless of temperature setting, whether or not heater is on, etc. The flapper doors in the heater suitcase dictate the temp and where it goes.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy