96 mustang ?

i have a 96 mustang 3.8 v 6 . i just installed a 04 3.8 engine and i keep getting a lot of error codes , plus it isnt running right. does anyone know where i can find a wiring diagram, that includes pin location in the connectors ? for both 96 and 04 models?

Reply to
frosty289

Well, you can try the cheap-o Haynes and Chiltons manuals, but their diagrams never seem to be quite legible.

There's AllData. Maybe your local library has a subscription like mine does.

There are always the factory service manuals and wiring diagrams:

(2004, $60) and
(1994, should be the same as 1996, $12)

I hope you used the computer that matches the motor...

Reply to
Garth Almgren

i used the factory 96 computer and wiring harness . thanks for the help!

Reply to
frosty289

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:42:57 -0500, frosty289 rearranged some electrons to form:

Well there ya go. You probably need the computer & harness that goes with the 04 engine.

Reply to
David M

96 is OBD2 and if 94-95 wasn't they'll be different.
Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
Walt

Is this true? The Ford website still lists it as a 3.8L I have an '04 and was not aware of this. Pretty interesting though.

Just A Guy '04 V6 Coupe

Reply to
Just A Guy©

Yep, it is true. :) I am not sure why Ford changed, but they did have a running change in the 2004 V6 engine from 3.8l to 3.9l. Of course, Ford then changed the V6 again to 4.0l for 2005.

Reply to
Walt

frosty289 opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

All sensors and controls for the original engine should be used, including injectors.

Are the firing orders for the engines the same?

Should work.

I suppose you didnt burden us with extraneous info, like what the codes are, because you want to do it all yourself.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

i'm not sure about 3.8 or 3.9 it looks the same as any 99 - 03 [ xr3 ] part numbers. how can i tell the difference ?

Reply to
frosty289

I looked under the hood after reading this post and discovered that mine was in fact a 3.9L It's written on at least two tags....one on the underside of the hood near the front edge, and the other on the engine near the oil cap. Check it out. The 3.8 and 3.9 engines are not actually very different at all. Ford states that there are absolutely no differences in hp or torque.

Just A Guy

Reply to
Just A Guy©

thank's guy