Mustang versus Vette

Say I take a Vette, that costs $45,000 when new. Then I take a Mustang GT, that costs $27,000. Then I put $18,000 into the Mustang. Which is now the better car?

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

"Better" is such a subjective term...

How about you put the 18 grand into the bank instead, and enjoy both cars on their own merits?

Reply to
Garth Almgren

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:55:31 -0500, RichA wrote something wonderfully witty:

The Vette, because you didn't have to stick 18k into it. Personally I would buy the Mustang and bank the 18K and then drive it like I stole it.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Sorry, but you are trolling. You *know* there was a huge argument in a different thread about this specifically. Bad Rich!! =(

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

You're talking the new Vette vs the New Mustang. If someone offered me the choice between the two modded as you wrote here...

damn... I'd have to take the Vette.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

RichA wrote in news:i1cov0ha8hmsfhr8gonsujfj5i8gakd6g4 @4ax.com:

If you put the $18,000 cash into the Mustang's glove box, I'd have to say the Mustang.

Joe

Dang, _that_ kind of incentive makes a GTO look good! ;)

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

Try and get that $18k back out of the Mustang when you try and sell it. The Vette would be a better investment and a better performing car for the money spent.

Now I just need to figure out whether you're a troll since you have also authored a thread about GM going into bankruptcy. Seems to be too loony a post to take you very seriously.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Not really. I didn't follow the other thread. But what I've seen people do with Mustangs with relatively little money (compared to the prices of cars that are "better" initially) impresses me. The idea that "the Vette is a better car to begin with" is true, but then where do you stop? A 911 is a better car still... Maybe I should have phrased it; "Give me a $50,000 Vette and a Mustang GT and only $10,000 ($8000 less than a Vette) and then see which car is better." I'd have $8000 to put "in the bank" as two posters suggested and still a subjectively better car than the Vette.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

Investment? A modern car? That is a laugh. If I want an investment I'll spend the $50,000 on a Hemi Chrysler (1964-1971).

Rumours abound. How else to determine authenticity unless you ask?

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

Yea, but the new Vette is just SOOooooooo easy on the eyes.

| >-Mike | | Not really. I didn't follow the other thread. But what I've seen | people do with Mustangs with relatively little money (compared to | the prices of cars that are "better" initially) impresses me. | The idea that "the Vette is a better car to begin with" is true, | but then where do you stop? A 911 is a better car still... | Maybe I should have phrased it; "Give me a $50,000 Vette and | a Mustang GT and only $10,000 ($8000 less than a Vette) and then | see which car is better." I'd have $8000 to put "in the bank" | as two posters suggested and still a subjectively better car than | the Vette. | -Rich

Reply to
SVTKate

Well, if , by "better" you mean "faster" then why not just put 18k into a 72 Nova or something ??

"Better car" encompasses a LOT more than horsepower, or speed.

If you like the lines, stance, interior, etc of a Corvett then no amount of money will likely make you think a Mustang is "better"

OTOH there are many folks that think it's ALREADY a better car than a Vette.

Personally, I LOVE my Mustang, and it's been a great car. I'd like to have an '05 too, and likely will some day.

OTOH, I love Vettes too! I've owned a few in the past, and had lots of fun with them. I think the C6 is a BEAUTIFUL car, and, although I hate to admit it HERE, if you offered me an 05 Vette STOCK, and an 05 Mustang with a supercharger, and handling mods, I'd snatch that little bowtie beauty up in a HEARTBEAT ! ! !

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Take a 2005 Mustang and add $18k worth of modifications, drive it for two years and then try and sell it for more than $20k-$25k. The Vette will be worth much more than that from a resale value after two years. Now do you get my point or do I need to draw you a picture?

I'll make up my own mind by observing your actions.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE
72 | Nova or something ?? | | "Better car" encompasses a LOT more than horsepower, or speed. | | If you like the lines, stance, interior, etc of a Corvett then no amount of | money will likely make you think a Mustang is "better" | | OTOH there are many folks that think it's ALREADY a better car than a Vette. | | Personally, I LOVE my Mustang, and it's been a great car. I'd like to have | an '05 too, and likely will some day. | | OTOH, I love Vettes too! I've owned a few in the past, and had lots of fun | with them. I think the C6 is a BEAUTIFUL car, and, although I hate to admit | it HERE, if you offered me an 05 Vette STOCK, and an 05 Mustang with a | supercharger, and handling mods, I'd snatch that little bowtie beauty up | in a HEARTBEAT ! ! ! |

I agree with you 100%. First time I saw one I nearly broke my neck looking at it as it went by on the transport truck.

Damn! Why couldn't I have been born rich.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

*Which* little beauty would you snatch up?

I'm 60 years old. I could have bought a 'Vette. I bought a yellow '05 GT. Why? 'Cause the GT turned something in my gut that the 'vette didn't.

In the first three weeks I had the GT more than a dozen people have high signed or commented on my beautiful car out on the road. I've never thought of doing that to a 'vette driver. Maybe 'vette owners get a lot of thumbs-up also, but I'll bet it's from other 'vette owners. Have to do a study on that some day.

John H

On the 'PocoLoco' out of Deale, MD, on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it." Rene Descartes

Reply to
JohnH

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 08:38:00 -0500, JohnH wrote something wonderfully witty:

Hmmm, money not an issue and offered either with my choices of options? Guess I would have to go with the `05 Vette. Gotta do it. Although my `95 Vette is competition yellow and I love my sporting cars in yellow, I might just have to go with that new Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic on the `05 Vette. And of course I can get it as a drop-top with HUD and all the other goodies if money wasn't an issue, but alas it is. So no new Vette in my immediate future, but when that last youngin get's out of college in four years who knows. Might end up with a garage full of choices every morning. Got any idea what four years of tuition will buy you in the car market nowadays? Now multiply that times two and you'll know why a GT is my only option at this time.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Did I say that it didn't?

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

Hmm... Not quite the phrasing I would use, but to each his own. ;)

Let's see... On the day I drove my C6 home from the dealership, some guy in an S2000 zoomed up next to me, then slowed down to drool. The next day, the car was parked in a strip mall parking lot, and some guy was hovering around it, peering inside and slobbering on the glass.

Does that answer your question? :)

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

Sorry, but you won't see me do that. I like Corvettes & all... but I won't even go that far. Maybe for an 03/04 SVT Cobra I'll stop to see it & BS with the owner & compliment the car... but I"ll never "zoom up" & "drool" haha. But I bet a lot of ppl would for a C6! Or an 03/04 Cobra! Nobody zooms up to see my poor car haha.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

resale on eBay).

Reply to
<memset

I'll add your input to my study!