98 GT Check Engine Light

OK, The check engine light came on so we took it to the Ford dealer... they said it's the fuel system (narrowed it down considerably). They changed the
fuel filter and the pcv. Light is still on. They said it could be the injectors, we ran the prescribed cleaner through the thing, refueled light went out as advertised... for about half a day. Back to the Ford place we went, they said... it's probably the plugs and wires. We changed the plugs and wires... light is still there. A friend said it could be the O2 sensor, we went to Auto Zone, they scanned it, said it was the fuel system running lean. We went back to the Ford place, the light went out... divine intervention? Nope, light came back on! We ran the car down to less than 1/4 tank of gas and the light went out. Filled with 89 octane and the light came on but only for about 5 miles... then went back out and hasn't came on in three days now. The light still works (at least when you turn the key on) so we are hoping it has fixed itself.
Anyone heard of this or have any advice? Anything would be appreciated.
tia
How many miles on the car? Were the plugs, wires, PCV, fuel filter etc original? If not, how many miles on those parts?
--------------------------------------

they
the
plugs
sensor,
light
on
could be the o2 sensors going bad. How many miles does it have ? The o2 sensors DO wear out. Does it hesitate a little when the light comes on ?
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 23:35:51 GMT, "GT-Vert-03"

Rein opined in

Excuse me but that is NOT likely!
1. If the O2's were bad - or even slightly hinky- the dealership would SURE have said they needed changing.
2. If you use good gas with NO aftermarket additives, INCLUDING injector cleaners, you dont have to clean the injectors AND the sensors stay in specs well into 100kmiles.
I side with the guys that say it may be the cap. But you got the LEAN code, so:
Second most likely is a small vacuum leak (though idle should hunt a little if that's the case). Or real dirty MAF. Does it ping on acceleration?
Outside shot - bad or dirty EGR system.
ONE thing you HAVE found out for sure.. dont trust that dealer's service dept.
On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 02:29:10 -0000, Backyard Mechanic

funny, under nr 1 you seem to trust them all the way. Reading lean or rich could be an O2 sensor. Been there done that. That's why I asked if it was hesitating.
Rein opined in

;) I trust them to change - and charge for - anything that could possibly be wrong, or even NOT possibly.

properly
you
missing or

Got a gas cap code off my '96 a few months ago. I complained of the CEL coming and going too. Still not sure if it's the cap, but the light still comes on every other day. The car now has an exhaust leak. Would that cause the light to come on??
Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS http://www.erikssonstunnbrod.se/stang/home.htm
RioRedGT opined in

And THAT could be too!
I had this happening to me, what I did first was change the gas cap. That didn't help, but it was a cheap shot. The car did it mostly when I had a full tank. I took her to the dealership, they told me I needed to have my throttle body cleaned. So.. I bought the kit, and cleaned it. I have not had a light since. By doing it myself I saved $165.
I would recommend changing the gas cap and cleaning your MAF and throttle body. Since they are in-line, it would be best to do them both at the same time. Cost to you, $15.00 and an hour of your Saturday morning. It may or may not fix the problem, but it prolly needs to be done anyway.
Look at a parts house for the WYNN's kit for cleaning the throttle body. It has everything you need.
Be sure to post if you find out what it is!
Kate