SN95 interior vent problem

Did a run to Yeehaw Junction today. On the way out the dashboard vents worked flawlessly (needed the A/C). When I started it up at the junction no more air out of them though. Regardless of the selector setting (max a/c|norm a/c|vent, Mix, floor or window) the air comes out of the window defroster vents and the floor vents. The 'Off' setting still functions. Also, there is no change in noise when I switch from max a/c to norm a/c. Which there normally was. When I braked for a trafic light, I got some flow back through the dash vents but still most of it came the floor & defroster vents.

I'm figuring some valve or flap is stuck or broken. Unfortunately my Chilton does not tell me where the unit is that does the distribution of the air. So before I take the dash apart, I'd like to know where to look.

The fan switch and temperature control switch are working properly. Could the fault be in the selector switch or in the unit (whereever that is hiding) that determines the route for the ar to take?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Paul

Sounds to me like a loose/broken vacuum line to the controller...

Reply to
SVTKate

at 16 Oct 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:LNCjb.70$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

Ok, where do I find that beast? :-) Under the hood? Under the dash? If I can find it I should be able to fix it. (have duct tape, will attempt repair *WEG*)

Reply to
Paul

Paul,

Not sure if the vacuum line is in the same place on the SN-95's (and it's raining so you're out of luck with me checking the line on my Cobra), but in the Fox cars, the vacuum line was a very soft flexible line that came out of the firewall all by itself near the heater core or A/C lines. This probably runs to a vacuum tree. The other side of it leads to the back of the switch itself - you can pull the trim panel off of the dashboard and then remove the controls. You could have a bad switch, a loose vacuum plug, or a broken vacuum line... or a combination.

Good luck!

JS

Reply to
JS

at 16 Oct 2003, JS [ snipped-for-privacy@home.now] wrote in news:39Fjb.20289$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny03.gnilink.net:

As far as I can determine from the pictures in my Chilton manual, the plug coming out of the selector switch is electrical wires. I'll give removing the trim and taking out the control panel tomorrow to verify that. I can measure the wires if they are electrical to see if they are functional and don't have a break or loose connection.

Thanks for the direction though, it's appreciated

Reply to
Paul

The selector is definitely vacuum. When vacuum is lost, a spring moves the diverter to the defrost setting.

Reply to
Mike King

Paul, Check the back of the firewall in the engine compartment for a small black plastic tube, it will run from the firewall where the heater hoses enter along the back lip to a vacuum T near the brake booster. Check right where it goes from plastic tube to rubber fitting, quite common for them to fail right here. If the plastic tubing is broken, remove the rubber fitting from the vacuum T and either get the broken piece to pull out or drill the remnants out and super glue the tubing back into the rubber fitting. Be sure to check the entire length for damage as well, if bad spots are found you can get vacuum hose the same OD and will fit nice and tight to repair bad spot.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy

at 16 Oct 2003, Mike King [ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] wrote in news:bmnhvc$otuqv$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-185605.news.uni-berlin.de:

Ahhh! Which is what it does. With a little air out of the vents. Looks like a leak in a vacuum hose or partly popped of hose. All I gotta do now is find those hoses. :-)

Reply to
Paul

at 17 Oct 2003, Musttanguy [ snipped-for-privacy@aol.competition] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m29.aol.com:

Thank you Tim. I intend to look at this either this afternoon or this weekend (as time allows) If it's the hose I sure will replace it. Better safe than sorry here.

Thanks again

Paul

Reply to
Paul

at 17 Oct 2003, Musttanguy [ snipped-for-privacy@aol.competition] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m29.aol.com:

Tim, you're the BEST! That was it. Next to the booster on the drivers side fenderwell was a little xmas tree like gizmo with hoses coming out. Sure enough, the 2nd one from the bottom came totally loose out of the rubber sleeve the moment I touched it. Broken. I tried to drill out the sleeve to no avail and then lost it under the booster. :-( The hose is long enough so for now I stuck it into the metal part and ducttaped it into place until I can get to the Ford dealer tomorrow and get a replacement sleeve I can glue the tube into. I did check it and it's in good shape otherwise. Now with the ducttaped tube all vents are working as they should again.

Have A Great Weekend!

Paul

Reply to
Paul