A Curious Tale Of Mothra & The Mustang

I was driving the new Mustang to work on Tuesday when something fluttered past in front of my face. It was a big moth, about an inch and a half long. Must have hopped a ride when I first got in. I go to work very early, and that's when little beasties like that are out and about.

It looked a little like this:

No biggie. Better than a pissed off wasp or a carpenter bee (both of which I have shared vehicles with). I opened the passenger window. He fluttered around the back window for a while. When I got to work, I looked around the interior, but I figured he made his way out.

At 2:30 am this morning I wake up to the sound of the Mustang's car alarm going off. It took me a few moments to gather my wits (such as they are), find the remote in the dark, and silence/rearm it. I'm sure my neighbors love me. Good Lord is a beeping car horn subjectively LOUD at that time of night.

No one seemed to be around. Even the car theives are home in bed at that hour. When I went to work four hours later, there was no obvious sign of anyone mussing with the car like hand prints in the dew or anything. I couldn't figure it out because this isn't some $100 Best Buy discount alarm system that goes off when someone sneezes a 1/4 mile away.

I get home today, and just as I'm pulling into my driveway, the moth flutters by again and lands on my shirt. I grab him with my hand and make sure he comes out the car with me and release him outside.

The way I figure it, the Mustang has two ultrasonic motion sensors on the small overhead console up front. I'd wager a week's salary the moth either fluttered right in front of it or even landed on it, and set of the alarm.

So that's how a little moth woke me up at 2:30 am and annoyed people for a one block radius around my house.

Reply to
Quiet Desperation

Good Story! Gosh, you should have put the moth on Ebay LOL

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate