A Mercury Mustang?

Generic opined in news:42066b3f$0$38840$ snipped-for-privacy@news.nntpservers.com:

Oxymoron element 1

Oxymoron element 2

Ummm.. i had two late 60's beetles. Solid built, not impressive for reliability / comfort /economy.

"funnest" import i ever had was a 72 Toyota Corona. A Solid "tin can" and really fun to to drive.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Oxymoron?

Oxymoron? They *are* exclusive versus friends who have not landed good jobs, they relocate from all over to work there.

My sister did as well. Pale yellow.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Generic opined

"I buy a _______ because everyone else doesnt... and all my friends do too, that's why they are so popular!"

Back in the sixties, *ALL MY FRIENDS* were buying new hot chebbies & MoPars... so I bought a new Merc Comet Caliente to replace my 57 BelAir HT.

The girls liked it.. good enough looking had enough guts with the 2 bbl 390 4 speed and it had bench seats.... which caused my buds to slap their foreheads and utter the equivalent of "DOH!" and ask to borrow it for dates alla time!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yep, that's all true. I meant an exclusive social group. There are the the hot rodders, the bikers, the import tuners the snobby rich, etc. They are different to outsiders but copy cats within. This (yuppie) social group falls in the wanna be rich group--making enough money to buy more expensive cars than most people can afford.

Starting the game now...

-John

Reply to
Generic

Cars have gotten so good by all the automakers, that seems now the only way to differentiate themselves from the competition is with styling. I know even the ultra-conservative Toyota and Honda are working on better designs for their upcoming products. Even Saturn, yes Saturn, has some good looking stuff in the pipeline.

As for the Charger, I'll withhold final judgment until I see one in the sheet metal, but the pics don't look promising.

Always. Got to stay up! Besides, it sure breaks up the discussions about the best sounding mufflers and which aftermarket shifter should I install.

As for the stuff Rick is bawling about, the Hurricane engine was in development. It could have went into production. Unfortunately, Ford pulled the plug early. So no BS there. And now the Mercury Mustang. Is it going to happen? Who knows? It's possible, so why not talk about it?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
NoOption5L

On 6 Feb 2005 08:47:51 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well there you go with the keyword "Compete" or as is more accurately known, product cannibalization. Would a Merc version take-away from current Mustang sales, what would that do to profit margins with in competing units within Fomoco? Where would the product differentiation come in? Would the Merc be the luxury version & the Ford the balls version?

All in all an awful lot of questions to be asked & answered at the highest levels of the organization.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 10:08:36 -0800, "Generic" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well only time will tell what Ford ends up doing with the Merc badge. Will it go the way of the Oldsmobile or Plymouth? I guess only time will tell.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:07:59 -0800, "Generic" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Semi-Funny true story. My wife is from Korea, Korea. After we got married I was stationed right in the heart of silicon valley. This was the early eights and BMW's 3 series and Maxima's were all the rage. After about 6-months we went back to my families home in NJ where everyone drives Lincoln's, Caddies, Chevy Impala's, all big full-sized cars. My wife's comment, "wow you come from a rich part of the country". I ask her why she thinks this. She responds with "look at the size of all the cars. They are twice as big as in Ca"

Sometimes size does matter. :)

Reply to
ZombyWoof

The Mark VIII used a lot of lightweight parts to come in well under the T-Bird's poundage, and had the DOHC engine to boot. I picked up and delivered one for a sound system and was very impressed with WOT. A vastly underrated car, IMO.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

that would be nice........ a retro 1993 model for me, please LOL

Reply to
Markansas

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:35:58 -0600, "Markansas" wrote something wonderfully witty:

And I'll take a retro `68. One with the one, two, three directional signals.

Reply to
ZombyWoof