NEWSFLASH! No SVT Products in 2005!!

I wonder what is causing this. Could Ford be hurting that bad financially? Read on... though it does get better... there is some
bright spots...
--------------------
Ford to drop SVT Focus, suspend performance lineup
By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News
Comment on this story Send this story to a friend Get Home Delivery
DEARBORN -- Ford Motor Co. is killing its high performance SVT Focus coupe next year and suspending production of the entire Special Vehicle Team lineup for the 2005 model year, the company said Friday.
"It will hurt us," said Dean Sellers, general manager of Dean Sellers Ford in Troy. "But it won't be devastating."
Ford's next scheduled model year for SVT products will be 2006. But its lineup - the Mustang Cobra and F-150 Lightning - will be based on new platforms and offer increased levels of performance.
NoOp Comment: Okay, this is good.
John Coletti, SVT's chief engineer, said the 2006 Lightning will be powered by an engine similar to the one featured in the 500-horsepower Ford GT, which debuts next year.
NoOp Comment: Brent, you were correct. The GT's motor will go in the Lightning.
Other possibilities include supercharged versions of the Mercury Marauder and Lincoln Navigator, a Mustang with a V-10 and a turbocharged Focus.
NoOp Comment: Holy shit!! Maybe a supercharger 5.4 from the new Ford GT? Now that would be cool in a Merauder!! Hell, even the Cobra's 4.6 would be bad-ass! And get a load of that!! A V10 Mustang!! Wouldn't that be the shit!! A turbo-chargered Focus would be pretty damn cool too! For SVT to stop producing for one... yeah, I could wait for this stuff!
In 2005, Ford plans to introduce the Focus ST, which stands for street tuned. It offers slightly less horsepower than the SVT Focus -- 155 compared with 170. But it will have more torque and likely cost less.
NoOp Comment: Hopefully, with a motor with slightly more displacement. Then when they add a turbo to it a year later....
Angelo Giordimaina, general sales manager of McLaughlin Ford in Royal Oak, said lease and insurance rates on the SVT Focus were alienating some buyers.
NoOp Comment: Damn insurance companies!
Since its introduction as a 2002 model, about 4,500 units a year have been sold. Tom Scarpello, SVT marketing and sales manager, hinted Ford expected more.
"Did it meet all its objectives? No," Scarpello said. "But the majority of them."
Since the first Cobra debuted in 1993, Ford has sold more than 135,000 SVT products.
Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD
The Focus is a non-issue; the SRT-4 took care of that. As for the "possibilities" mentioned below, who knows if they'll become probabilities.
By 2006, Ford's competition will have had one more year to come up with better products. As has been the trend with Ford, they'll be offering too little too late. Sounds to me like performance-minded consumers will be shopping at the DC and GM stores in the meantime.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in

Friday.
Sellers
on
horsepower
the
Ford
street
less.
displacement.
Royal
have
Ford
135,000
Aaaaaarrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
Kate
[...]
I'm sorry, but for the most part, I'm a Ford guy, but I'll be damned, if I was buying sport compact it'd be an Mitsu EVO, or even the WRX STi. Rice is one thing but 270-300 hp from a compact is friggin' bad!! SRT-4 is cool as well.

Mike 1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Mike, the Mitsu and Subie are around $30k, and the interiors on both are crap. For $10k less you can get the SRT-4.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mike) wrote in

You think? I have -0- problem with the SRT4, hell I'd buy one if I had the ability. I'd drive all 3 first though. I'm pretty sold on the guts of the 2.0L Mitsu motor though. Damn thing in my car runs like a bat out-o-hell and it's still running stock boost at 7-9lbs. I can imagine what an EVO feels like at 19lbs and a front mount. I guess my point overall is I'm really digging the new Sport Compact with balls concept that the three Companies are doing now. It may be a passing fad, but you really can't argue with the power levels they are putting out. Power-weight =fun :-)
Mike 1995 Eagle Talon TSi
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mike) wrote in

Yeah, I sat in all of them at the car show last weekend - checked them all out pretty well.

I agree with you - those types of cars are great. But the Mitsu and Subie are in a different league than the SRT-4. The $30k Mitsu and Subie are technological masterpieces, but being the old fart that I am I need a bit more comfort inside. The interiors on those things are pretty much base-model level. The SRT-4 is the same, but for $10k less it doesn't hurt as much.

my thoughts exactly. I sat in the STI and it felt very cheaply. I am sure they drive like the best (they won't let you test-drive it unless you put a deposit down and sign papers to buy it. I asked what good is a testdrive if you buy it. The guy told me I could still back out after signing.ohwell, no testdrive, no sale) but the inside felt plain old cheap. The rear door feels very weak/tinny. The rubber door seals on rear doors look like they'll come off in 6 months. Overall it felt very cheap. If I compare that 30K car to something like an infinity G35 coupe I would go that way for sure. Might not be as hot and heavy as the sti (but close) but you get a lot more car for the $$$. Oh, and the wing... UUUUUUGLY
With another crap interior, but you at least saved 10K. :)
Scott W. '66 HCS

Exactly my point - the SRT-4 is a bargain. For around $20k, it'll beat a Mustang.

both
Driven all three. The Mitsu was the best performer. The SRT-4 was kinda a yawn..... my overall favorite was the Subaru (i tested the wagon). I like the looks, and the AWD (what the SRT-4 doesnt have).

You guys missed something i read in a mustang mag:
SHELBY IS COMING BACK TO FORD 2006!!!!

[...]

Talk about a yawn...

some
Focus
But
based
be
in
Cobra's
pretty
could
155
alienating
I gather the general consensus in this group is no Shelby?

If Shelby does a car, it'll be way too expensive and unattainable even if you could afford it. He's just a nameplate at this point anyway. 2 cents.

Special
2006.
will
go
Mercury
new
Mustang!!
for
--
>> 155
yeah. ford is going a little too extreme on their 'retro' styling and stuff. I hope for one that the inside of the 05 mustang is more modern than the concept they showed. The outside isn't bad, but the inside would make me not buy it for sure.

Don't you think that is a touch cynical?

Probably not. Shelby's in it for the money and Ford's in it for the publicity. Shelby is a "has been" who is whoring his name to anyone willing to buy it with deep enough pockets. Anybody willing to take an average $10,000 dollar '67-'68 Fastback and put another $10,000 of paint and bodykit with maybe another $10,000 in engine/drivetrain and suspension and then try to sell it to you for over $150,000 as a REAL Shelby GT500"E", just because Shelby endorses it, is a cheat, a fraud, and a thief. A $30 grand car that Sanderson is trying to sell for 5 times that?? And you know Shelby is getting a NICE cut of the action. Woe be to the moron who actually buys one of these cars. And now he's doing it again with '65-'66 Fastbacks, redoing them and calling them GT350SR's. Selling them for 75 grand?? What a con game.
He's not designing ANYTHING. He's just taking the credit for them using his name. The next Ford produced Shelby will be only Shelby in name.
Scott W. '66 HCS