Question when buying a mustang do I go 5.0 or 4.6?

Hi I have yet another question. Which is the best 5.0 or 4.6 mustang Thanks to all that answer in advance.

-- Once you feel the punch of a Ford big block. You will never look back.

Reply to
69GT4spdTrac-loc

Depends on what you like? Do you like the foxs or the SN-95's? Out of the foxes the 89' is the best year. Factory Forged pistons, MAF instead of Speed Density, and no airbag (easier to get aftermarket wheel)

Reply to
John Wiebalk

While the newer 4.6 motors are now the mainstream focus of the Mustang performance industry, there's still a huge body of performance parts and experience with the 90-degree-V/5.0 family of engines. So, if you're looking for bang-for-the-buck, an older clean 5.0 is probably going to be a better deal than a newer 4.6.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

A while back I would have said go with the 5.0L engine but over the last

1-2 years I have changed my mind. The '99+ GT's are really a good performer stock and from what I see coming from the after market the 4.6L will eventually be a better performer than the 5.0L. The 4.6L's block is much stronger than a stock 5.0L and they have the advantage of overhead cams. Do some research on the Mustang sites like Stangnet, Corral etc. and you'll get a good feel for what people are starting to do with the 4.6L's. Also, the newer Mustangs have much stronger automatic transmissions than the old AOD's Ford used on the 5.0L's.

69GT4spdTrac-loc wrote:

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

If you want a 5.0, definately dont go with a 1994-95 style... there complete dogs at only 215 horsepower...You got alot of mods to add to get those moving...If you like a 4.6 save up for a 99 and up model, they come with a decent 260 horsepower and 302 ft torque... If you want a 5.0, go with a 87-92 model....

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you're going to modify or build a performance engine, the 5.0 is much easier to work on and parts are much cheaper as well.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

As they say theres no replacement for displacement

Reply to
John Wiebalk

That is a question that I don't think can be answered. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Its just all based on personal opinion.

Reply to
John Wiebalk

Yep! In my opinion, they are both great. If I had to choose, i'd flip a coin.

Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

I guess it landed right in the center for you and you choose a lighting =)

Reply to
John Wiebalk

It depends. If you own a 4.6, the best Mustang in the world is a 4.6.

I own a 4.6 and I highly recommend it.

Of course if you own a 5.0, this doesn't apply to you.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Gotta agree on the AOD. Any tranny shop I've talked to in northeast MA that rebuilds these wont set the shift points to use much of 2nd gear for fear of failure.

Reply to
John

Yeah I guess, lol! Gotta love the good ole 351 :). But I've owned a couple 5.0 mustangs, and I loved them. However, I have seen what 4.6's can do and are capable of doing, and I love them too. I wouldn't own a '96-'98 unless it was a cobra, but other than those, the 4.6 cars impress me. I rode in a new mach 1 the other day, I didn't expect much, but I was really impressed. I'd buy a mach 1 in a heartbeat if I had the money. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Go for either a '99 and up 4.6 ('99-'04), or go for a '93 and down ('87-'93)5.0.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

I stopped in to the Ford dealer looking for a used mustang to use as a daily driver. Took one look at the Mach 1 and ended up leaving with it. It surprises me every time I drive it. Azure Blue is the fastest! :-)

Reply to
Mustang_66

Congrats! I love that color too, but my friends is dark shadow gray. It seemed pretty damn fast to me. On the G-Tech(i dunno how accurate it is) he went from 0-60 in 5.0 seconds. Is that good? My truck could only muster a 0-60 of 6.6 but I was spinning pretty badly. But i'll tell you what, for the price the mach1's can be had for, it seems like there would be more of them around. They sure are nice. Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Not a thing wrong with the 94-95 5.0s They are a bit heavier than the earlier cars BUT they actually have a structure which keeps them tight and helps handling a bunch.

LJH

95GT (331 5.0 stroker)

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Oh... so he got one of the slower ones...hehe

The G-Tech is actually pretty accurate. I have the Competition Pro model and it was within 3rhp of a dyno, when checking my '66 coupe. 0-60 in 5.0 is excellant.. the advertised is 5.2. I just know its a quick car. I had it to 142mph, so far. I'm sure it'll hit 150 without sweating.

You don't see alot of Machs because they only built 9652 of them in 2004... I don't know what '04 production will be. They also blend in pretty well with GTs unless its the Azure Blue, which is only sprayed on the Machs...

Reply to
Mustang_66

I second that. You have the more modern looks and still the 5.0 low end torque. I'd say avoid the 96-98 GT's. Get a 94/95 GT or, if you can afford it, a 99GT or newer.... (or a pre-94GT if you can live with the style of that)

Rein