ABS trouble on 2001 v6 mustangplease help...

OK. So heres whats going on.

My ABS system keeps tripping off.

It started speratically about 6 months ago on my way back from work. I noticed an ABS warning on the dash and my traction control was set to off. I couldn't turn it back on so I pulled into a parking lot turned off the car, restarted the engine and did a burnout, the ABS system reactivated for the drive home, bout 45 minutes.

About a week later it happened again. Same thing, I did a burnout and it reinitialized itself. This went on for a period of time put progressivly more frequent. Until now it seems when its dry out it doesnt work at all.

Heres the funny part and I think it may be a clue, when it rains out, the entire system reactivates, my traction control works,the ABS dash light goes off and stays off and I can turn my traction control on and off with the console button. Then when it ges dry again, it stops working.

to me it seems as though there is a complete circuit being created with the moisture somewhere that isn't there when dry....may seem crazy but its a hell of a coincidence that the abs/t.c works in weather....Its not a matter or wheel spin, i don't think anyways.....ive been told that the magnet picks up the spin during a tire burnout and so the sensor activates but I honestly don't think that's the issue,because im not burning out in the rain, but i'm no mechanic so i am very open to any suggestions , i don't wanna take it to a shop if I can fix it myself.....Thansk for all yor input everyone

Reply to
shred

OKJso it looks like im'm talking to myself, but i have figured it out....It seems my cables on the rear wheel sensors have been sitting lightly agains the wheel and has worn throught the rubber into the wiring....Hence the moisture thing....so i tested my theory with some handfills of water on the worn area and presto....system is working....until dry.....nowq i know what I have to replace...will this be an easy endeavour ?

Reply to
shred

can anyone tell me what the name of the cable is that I have to replace ? is it called the the ABS Relay cable.Does anyone know how to reinstall or repair the cable ?Is there a diagram or schematic or procedure anywhere for this ? Please read my above postings for my issue. Thanks

Reply to
shred

I have found a solution. I stripped down the area of wire that needed fixed seperated the 2 wires for both back cables left and right with electrical tape after soldering any frayed connections.....stripped and cleaned my worn wires and resoldered them , as stated, spliced the frayed wire with copper wire and rewrapped the wires together with more electrical tape. I wonder if the heat will effect the tape...weather and time will tell...so now its working in dry weather...don't know about wet yet. I can only assume it will, as water was my key element in my scenario.

In short my rear wires to the ABS sensors were worn down from rubbing ever so slightly against the rim.

It wore through the rubber and sliced the electrical wiring going to the sensor and computer (i am assuming ) therfore cutting the signal.

Rain created at conduct of water on the line creating a signal to the computer (i assume )and activated the ABS and traction control systems.

I removed my rear tires and repaired the frayed wiring with solder and copper wire. seperated the 2 wires in each cable with electric tape , then taped the whole wire out of the way so as not to touch the wheel . Problem solved. I hope this helps someone....This would work for anyone with abs trac control i think.

Reply to
shred