2006 Mustang GT wont break traction.

I have always wanted a decent mustang... ever since I was about 8.. wanted one so bad I could taste it really... I used to be fairly active on these forums.. but have not really been back in quite some time...

Anyway, about a week I got my first mustang... a 2006 GT Coupe.

The car is an automatic, but even so, I would think that it would be able to break traction on the rear tires going straight forward from a dead stop on dry pavement... without break torquing.. but the car simply will not do it.. Its not a problem if its wet out..

The power is there, I can feel it at higher speeds.. and it seems that when taking off, it drops the power to a point where the tires will not spin as i take off, but once it gets rolling, it will take off pretty quickly...

This is with the traction control off.. It is really very disappointing that with the traction control off, the car wont spin the tires from a stand still on dry pavement... (Probably will if I brake torque it.. but I really dont think that should be necessarry with a car that powerful....

Am I missing something?

Reply to
Erimikos

Yeah... I think you are missing something. ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

actually modern cars are designed to do exactly what your is doing. the tire width, gear ratio, torque at low end is supposed to work together so as not to produce tire spin, but maximum acceleration consistent with fuel economy. As the car gains a few miles of experience (i.e. breaks in) you may find that spinning the tires does come easier on dry pavement.

Reply to
walt peifer

not to mention all those little grippy edges on the tires get worn down and off.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

It still just doesn't seem right... Something in the electronic throttle controls maybe? it seems like it wont apply full throttle from a stop, but does once it gets rolling a little. Car has about

500 miles on it now.. I would have actually only tried this once, but have tried it twice since the first time was not at all what I expected..

I really dont want to beat it up too much just yet... I want it to last awhile.

Reply to
Erimikos

Heh.. you dont suppose those crafty production engineers would have designed a power limitation into the engine controller!

Not beyond reason that they would, is it! If so, the truth will come out soon.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

No you have TRACTION CONTROL!!!

Reply to
My Names Nobody

BullShit, The new Mustang has TRACTION CONTROL, it won't even spin in the wet with it on. Doh!

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Then stop trying to tear up your $300+ tires...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Wet the street and try again:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

The new Mustang has TRACTION CONTROL, it won't even spin in the wet with it on.. They shit and git with almost undetectable wheel spin, in the gravel, on wet, whatever surface, the traction control works very well...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Not sure where you buy your tires, but the OEM tires which are Pirilli PZERO NERO size 235/55WR17 are $99 each at

shipping is roughly $10 a tire delivered to Central Louisiana.

Not sure where you buy your $300 tires, but check it out, you might save $800 on your next set :)

Reply to
nobody

WOW they "really, REALLY changed the 2006 performance !!! My 2005 GT automatic spins tires, squeals, lets me pretend I'm a teenager "wasting daddy's hard earned money all over again. Granted, it's not the "tire smoking" you see on the Mustang commercials, but it will break traction, the back end will get "away from you" if you aren't careful. My advice, (that is unless FORD really, REALLY changed things up between the current and recent past year models, is give it a couple of thousand miles, then, romp on the accellerator and see what happens... Of course, make sure it's fully warmed up and the blue light special is in K-Mart, not beside you

Reply to
nobody

Now turn your traction control back on! DOH!!!

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Even at your discount web sight, my prices are closer than yours.

Tires for 2006 Ford Mustang GT Coupe Original Equipment Optional 235/50-18 Speed Ratings: ZR,WR,YR

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 Size: 235/50YR18 Price: $189.00 (each) Pirelli PZero Rosso Size: 235/50YR18 Price: $227.00 (each)

Now add in shipping, mounting and balancing, like I said 300+ tires. Doh!

This doesn't take into account that tires are not an item I buy on line, one problem, and all your savings plus is spent on return shipping...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Sounds like the Torque Management System to me... Ok, I know I only have the V6 but... The V6 and the GT share a lot of things... I believe that includes the Torque Management System which prevents the car from making "too much" torque in 1st gear! My V6 wouldn't spin the tire even brake torquing! I picked up an SCT X-Cal2 and reflashed the car... and bang! I'm spining the tire like crazy! LIke you I could feel enough power in 2nd,3rd,4th... just not 1st!

I would check out

Lidio's tune will wake your automatic up! LOL!

Reply to
John S.

Don't be so "condesending" do you own a recent model GT? if so, please tell me which one. Sounds to me like youre the "expert" but what do you base your experiences on? Please advise.

Reply to
nobody

Yes, it does... depending on what you are doing. If the system beleives its an intentional thing, it will allow them to spin with the traction control turned on.. (it bases that off throttle input, and current vehicle speed, I beleive)

Reply to
Erimikos

Yes, it does... depending on what you are doing. If the system beleives its an intentional thing, it will allow them to spin with the traction control turned on.. (it bases that off throttle input, and current vehicle speed, I beleive)

Reply to
Erimikos

That is funny because of the 4 different 05 & 06 GT's I've tried this on, even during a torrential downpour, with standing/running water on the road, mashing the throttle to the floor while traction control is engaged you get nearly ZERO perceptible wheel spin before the traction control takes over and through a finely computer controlled balance of brake application and engine control, the car executes very effective traction control... If your traction control is NOT function correctly, you better take it in and have it repaired.

Reply to
My Names Nobody