Alternator replacement -- problem

If it does it ALL the time then the alt is out right bad OR you have a different problem. I seem to remember a blown fuse causing that problem.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:29:13 -0500, WindsorFox[SS] rearranged some electrons to form:

??? He said the alt. light was on all the time, and no one has measured the voltage at the output.

Reply to
David M

Joe

Did that restore the air bag light situation or did you replace the module??? Was curious about the outcome from a few weeks ago. Got an update???

-- Mike

93 Cobra
Reply to
Mike R

I'd still check the pulleys. if the alternator came with a pulley (you did not have to pull yours off and put it on the shaft) as a direct swap you may have a problem. The alternator in my T-bird was replaced. and i got the same symptons. low voltage/amps at idle and that damn bell ringing and the battery picture flashing all the time. It turns out that the alternator pulleys come in slightly different sizes depending on auto vs manual and different sizes depending on the accesory load. as my t-bird was an LX with heated rear glass the origiannl pullery was quite small (taller ratio) the NAPA replacement with a pulley installed was about 1/2" bigger. when i tried a smaller pulley on the alternaor only the problem went away.

Reply to
walt peifer

Which is why nothing he has said indicates it needs to be replaced. The output needs to be tested first.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 13:57:13 -0500, WindsorFox[SS] rearranged some electrons to form:

You are mighty right. Mike, you need to get somebody with a VOLTMETER to measure the output voltage of the alternator at slow and fast engine speeds.

Reply to
David M

The Idiot light transistor in the VReg is bad.

Had the same problem in a "rebuilt" from autozone... the Alt works fine otherwise so I said to he!! with it.

You can get a new alt or a new VR or a used VR. easy to replace

" snipped-for-privacy@cellulean.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic