A New GTO For 2008

Report: A more exciting redesign of the current GTO likely to arrive for 2008.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - If the looks of the Pontiac GTO are a little too bland for your taste, there will be a new, more exciting-looking version in a couple of years, a Detroit newspaper reports.

The current Pontiac GTO is a modified version of a car built by GM's Australian subsidiary, Holden. The car is sold in very similar form as the Holden Monaro in Australia. Holden will stop production of the Monaro later this year.

Production of the GTO, which has a different grille and a more powerful engine -- the same 400-horsepower engine used in the Chevrolet Corvette

-- will continue at least through the 2006 model year, the Detroit Free Press reported. Both the Holden Monaro and Pontiac GTO cars are built in the same factory in Australia. The GTO's engines are exported to Austrialia from the U.S,

The next-generation GTO will share much of its engineering with a new GM family of rear-wheel-drive cars, according to Jim Hopson, a Pontiac spokesperson quoted in the story.

The new car is expected to begin production in 2008. likely in Australia, and it will be more striking in appearance than the current GTO, the newspaper said, citing unnamed company sources.

Inside Line, an automotive Website produced by CNN.com automotive partner Edmunds.com, is reporting that the new GTO could be a four-door car with a coupe-like profile. That conjecture is based on information from sources at GM and other companies involved with the project, a spokeswoman for Edmunds.com said.

Any details of the car reported in the news media, beyond the mere fact that is being worked on, are "pure conjecture," Hopson told CNN/Money.

"The next-generation GTO will fulfill the promise of the current car," Hopson was quoted as saying in the Free Press story. "We have every intention of getting it to the street as soon as possible."

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1122675876.534174.161840 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

information

Sounds just like the Charger. ;)

Reply to
Joe

And Buick is going to call it the Gran Sport.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

If gas prices continue on their steep rise and holding patterns do you think that automakers will continue in the horsepower wars? Seems like we are getting ready to revisit the pony car explosion of the middle 60's and the follow-on implosion of the 70's gas crises. My gawd I hope they don't bring back Gremlins, Pintos & Vegas as a response.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Where'd you read this???

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
AGuyNamedSteve

In the Wall Street Journal. Of course just because it was in there does not make it true...

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Yes, but it's on Usenet now - doesn't that make it true!? :)

Steve

72 Skylark Custom455
Reply to
AGuyNamedSteve