First kill!

Now before you guys go into how street racing is only for morons, drop it 'cause I don't wanna hear it. For the most part I agree with you guys, but there are some occasions where ya just can't resist it.

My first kill in the '69 Boss clone was this evening. A beautiful raven black '67 Camaro SS with Silver stripes. Rolling start @ ~30mph. I'm not sure if he's gonna gun it. He takes off so I jump on it too. He was ahead by

1/2 length on start and I slowly reeled him in and pulled even within 1/8th mile. The whole thing lasted about 10 seconds and he gave up when he could see my rear bumper.

Pulled into the AutoZone which is a few blocks away and pop our hoods. (You shoulda seen the ricers come out of the woodworks then, LMAO!) He's got a chromed out 350 stroked to 383 with a Holley 750cfm DP, Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap intake, 4-spd manual and 3.73:1 posi 10 bolt. Fairly close match with my 393 stroker 351W, 600cfm Edelbrock, Edelbrock Performer intake, FMX tranny and 3.70:1 Trac-Lok 9".

He said he runs high 13's at Bandimere. I wonder where that would put me up on the hill???? I'm sure I could run 14's all day long with my current setup. But 13's? I'm not so sure. I'm thinking he was fudging a bit.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Forgot to mention he's running Edel RPM heads and I'm running D0 cast iron Windsor heads which were ported/polished and now run roller rockers.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Good story. Get ready though, the PC police are likely to ambush you for your transgressions. ;)

66 6F HCS wrote:
Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I think you could get into the 13's. Take it to the track and find out. It kind of gives a reality check to me. I hit 13.3 but thought I would do better,(spun to the 1/8th) and at the end of the 1/4 I realized

111mph is not safe for the street(Takes a long time to slow down) There's really nothing good to say about a street race though, so I won't.
Reply to
Gill

I realized

If you upgrade the power, you have to upgrade the brakes.

Reply to
Mark C.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Oh please. Lots of people street race. I do. All the time. I mean, driving 60 in a 30, or 80 in a 40 is kewl. I know I know, someday I might kill someone. But at least if it's a member of your family, you'll understand. Cause you're kewl; just like me.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Mia

OH! My ex has an uncle that had a beat up old truck that had little stick men painted on the side. It's funny as hell! He has about two rows of them and one that is only half... never figured that one out.

Reply to
SVTKate

Yeah, I know, that's one of the things on my list to do.

Reply to
Gill

In our area a young couple and their 5 month old daughter were killed when hit at 100+ MPH by a street racer just last weekend. Of course one of the cars involved was a Mustang. The vehicle that actually hit the families car was a pickup truck.

Reply to
James

Street racing? That's the first "street racing" comment I've seen connected to this particular incident. Road raging drunken idiots seems to be a more fitting description than street racers.

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:43:34 -0700, Gill wrote something wonderfully witty:

Perhaps, his problem, as well as I think yours will be more tires then anything else. The street meats just aren't going to cut it.

As to street racing, been there done that, have the T-Shirt and revoked license to prove it. Fortunately that was back in the days before linked DMV systems and all I had to do was go one state over to get another clean license.

Street Racing is part of the stupidity of youth. If you live through it, don't end up killing yourself or someone else, you come to your own realization what an extremely bad idea it is. It is this way with a great deal of other things as well.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

You are probably right. I had heard originally that they were racing.

Reply to
James

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

If you have a decent set of heads, a 600cfm carb is a bit small, no? I would put at least a 650-700. Heck, for 400 cubes with good heads and healthy cam, a 780 might work too (dont know forsure on this one).

66 6F HCS wrote:
Reply to
cprice

Ode to days gone by...

Yeah, this sounds more like,"look how fast my dick can go" than Street Racing. Driving down main street at 100+ with some other idiot in broad daylight is not street racing, that's just reckless driving. When we use to street race here (West Los Angeles) It was more of an organized event. Everyone met at Carl's Jr., Del Taco, insert random parking lot here. Then the drivers (not called fucken "racers") would check each others cars, ask the questions, " Are you squeezing, what you got, Big block, small block, the move, heads up, blah, blah,blah then go to a set quarter mile. Back then it was either the industrial park road next to the tracks, Pershing Blvd, a wide empty strip behind the LAX runway, etc. NEVER on some busy street. If the cops came we were outta there. But of course I'm just reminiscing, this was back like in the late 80's early 90's when we were still racing real cars, the only ricer that we had was a 70' 280zx and he had a small block Chevy in it.Oh. and the occasional Mazda rotary. Of course this all ended as soon as ricers started showing up, cars put together by brand names and electronics, not Muscle and sweat and tears. If your pride and joy muscle car blew its engine because of something "YOU" forgot it was no laughing matter. Now a days ricers blow engines and just laugh it off and they are out next weekend in the same car....

Yeah I'm bitter, or maybe I just miss the days that real street racing meant you had work your ass off for the car you wanted and what you wanted it to do. Or when you shook the guys hand that just beat you, you notice the grease under all his nails and realized he wanted that win, he worked for it earlier that day. No multi colored cars, No trash talking asshole saying you cheated. Just respect for the other driver and his car.

Reply to
moco

I thought the same, until I went to build the motor and did some math. I'm

5280' above sea level in Denver and my motor will rarely see 5000+ rpm. By my calculations and Edelbrock's tech support, a 600 is just right. More would be a waste of good expensive gas. I rejetted and metered for the altitude. The cam is the XE262EH from Comp Cams. Split duration 262/270 so the motor could run more cam, but peak torque comes on at 3200rpms and practically flatlines to 5000!!! VERY torquey motor!!

What's holding me back is my heads and exhaust right now. D0 Windsor heads and a 2" dual exhaust without a crossover (compliments of the previous owner, yech!). I'll gain about 20hp and tq once I switch up to 3" with a crossover through glasspacks out the side and around 30hp and tq with GT-40X heads. Ran those numbers on "Engine Analyzer 3.0". From the voices of experience, those numbers are within 3% of the real world.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

"moco" wrote

No shit!

Which is exactly what we did, except I'm the one who won. heh! Still shook hands and popped hoods. The only thing missing was a 'Cuda with a 383 next to us.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

latest mustang monthly has an article where they swap a 600 cfm holley for a 650dp on a 351w with afr heads. Effectively, the car gained < 10 hp, and then adding timing adda like another 20.

HOWEVER, I would say that as you change your combo, you are going to move the bottleneck somewhere else. You might indeed need that 650-700 with gt-40x/afr/you-name-it heads as they flow ALOT more than the D00E (guessing) heads you have, especially if they are not ported.

Just the ramblings of a bench-racer without a current motor project.

*sigh*, my 97 cobra is fun, but I am having to work hard keeping it bone stock.

66 6F HCS wrote:

Reply to
cprice

Up here in Cowtown, AB, we have two street racing deaths in the last four days. One dipshit had his 70-year-old grandmother in the car when it went spalt, and so did she. (This is true.) Another had some dumb bitch hitting the back of a minivan, which rolled many times and, again, spalt. But these people are so cool. I wish I could be like them and push hard on the pedal on the street. That takes someone way cooler than me to do.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Mia