Arizona New Emissions Law Approved by EPA!

Yesterday, the EPA approved Arizona's new emissions law that was passed by the governor almost two years ago. Starting in January, all collectible vehicles (15 years or older) no longer will have to go through emissions testing. The vehicles must have collectible insurance and not be daily drivers. You will have to show proof of that type of insurance when registering or changing your vehicle record.

The law also includes motorcyles in Pima County, but not Maricopa County. Arizona is the only state that requires emissions testing on motorcycles.

------------------ Laurie S. Thunder Snake #7

Reply to
Laurie S.

The insurance/non-daily driver part would bother me. A great many drive their cars everyday and are just as avid bout them. In CA, I can use a standard insurance company policy to cover my car whether it's driven daily or a trailer queen. All I had to do was document the value, and that's what it is covered for. So I can drive it either daily or just for shows and such and still be covered.

On another subject, what did you think of the Fat Man R&P system?

Reply to
Spike

register the car in a different county .. screw the government. They already rape everyone on tags and insurance in AZ.

Reply to
Les Benn

What determines "daily driver"? Is there a limitation on annual mileage?

I think even Pennsylvania excludes cars driven less than 5,000 miles per year.

I take it that the motorcycles in Pima County are a particularly particulate sort.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

This is just a first step for us. Once it's in place, we're going to work toward expanding its scope. Our foot is in the door. ;)

I don't know anything about the Fat Man system. I have Randall's rack and pinion and it looks great. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to test drive it yet because the 390 is out of the car.

Laurie S. Thunder Snake #7

Reply to
Laurie S.

That's a pain to do and added expense if you don't have relatives or friends in another county. Now we won't have to do that at all.

------------- Laurie S. Thunder Snake #7

motorcycles.

Reply to
Laurie S.

motorcycles.

Nope, the Pima County motorcycles are clean, it's the Maricopa County ones that are dirty. LOL

You'll have to prove you have collectible insurance to qualify for the emissions waiver. There isn't any mileage limit stated, which is good for me. I have Hagerty insurance for both my Mustangs and I have no mileage limits on my policy. :)

------------- Laurie S. Thunder Snake #7

Reply to
Laurie S.

Y'know what? Forget about it. The Frogs would qualify for classic plates next year (or the year after?), but I don't see the point. Pennsylvania application:

"The use of antique and classic plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code which states: "It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique and classic registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses." Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week."

The classic tag is twice the price of my personal plate.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

It all depends on the fine details of collector status in AZ. In IL, antique plates technically mean you can only drive the car for it to be serviced and in parades. This is never enforced as far as I can tell as I have seen AV plates used on everything upto and including daily drivers.

Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
Spike