Arizona Emissions Change!

From the EPA website:

Collectible cars removed from Phoenix, Tucson smog program

SAN FRANCISCO - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency today announced that Tucson motorcycles and Phoenix and Tucson collectible vehicles will no longer have to undergo emissions tests beginning April 30. The change to the state's clean air plan affects approximately 3,800 collectible vehicles in Maricopa County and about 1,400 collectible vehicles and 6,240 motorcycles in Pima County. The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality studied the effect of exempting motorcycles, collectible vehicles, and vehicles 25 model years old and older from the current emission testing program and showed that exempting motorcycles and collectible vehicles from the Tucson area program and collectible vehicles from the Phoenix area program would not interfere with meeting and maintaining health-based standards for ozone and carbon monoxide. In the event that the ozone or carbon monoxide air quality standards are violated in these areas, the state's plan can reinstate the requirements.

Reply to
Laurie S.

I dunno... I mean, congratulations and all, but... It makes me wonder who the one guy behind the story is.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Guess I'll run down there and see what's needed to prove the collectors insurance.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

From what I can see, these vehicles will be exempt from testing only and not exempt from compliancy .... these vehicles will still have to conform to the emissions standards applicable to that model year.

Reply to
Jim Warman

...but without testing, where's the enforcement?

dwight

dwight

I would think that there is some expectation of "honesty"..... Like a closed door.... should it "need" a lock??? No.... But a lock helps to keep "honest" people honest.... Opening the unlocked door is just more convenient than having to break a lock to do it. Putting a lock on the door isn't "enforcement"..... Getting caught is....

Being honest is a lot like being pregnant..... There's no such thing as being a little bit pregnant - and there's no such thing as being a little bit honest.... Some folks think that we can apply levels to honesty...

I stole a "roll of tape" becomes different from I stole "$100"........ But they both actually mean I "stole" a roll of tape or I "stole" $100. A lawbreaker is a lawbreaker....

Sorry for the lecture.... this thread just came up at an inconvenient time.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

For me it's a godsend. My car has an engine not available in a passenger car built in that year so there are no emission standards. (454 in a late Nova.) It's the only way I can drive it. I think the logic is there is not a large number of vehicles like this and most owners would keep them in good running order.

Al

Reply to
Big Al