arnold signs smog bill

Schwarzenegger yesterday signed two smog bills that will affect Californians in the pocketbook. One of them alters the law that exempts

30+ year-old vehicles from smog checks. HOWEVER, it does NOT affect cars made before 1975, so our gas-guzzling, polution-spewing muscle cars are still savede from the hassle of bi-annual checks. Amen.
Reply to
vince garcia

isn't he the same one driving a Hummer?? wonder how much pollution that creates!

Reply to
memyself&I

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

Leno has a huge collection of classic cars and motorcycles.

Way back in the 1980s, I went several years without a television, just worked (too much), ate, slept and motorcycled. Several times at the Rock Store (a hangout in the Malibu mountains) I talked to this very tall guy named Jay, he had quite a few different bikes, and he was clearly a hardcore enthusiast. After noticing that a small crowd would follow him around distance on busy weekends, I asked him "you have fans, you work in show biz?". I genuinely did not know who he was. He said "oh yeah, I've done a few specials for NBC and guest host the Tonight Show" and the topic turned back to motorcycle chain upkeep.

Anyway, celebs weren't uncommon at the Rock Store then, but Jay never acted like one. A true enthusiast.

So I don't think he's all that wound up about gas guzzlers.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Entering into the unknown, V'ger seeks information used to maintain his Vintage Burgundy 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 w/289 ci 4v oem A Code V8, C4 Trans,

16x8" Vintage 40 wheels, with BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR16 tires, American Racing "Mustang" Centercaps, and a whole lot of other stuff; )
Reply to
V'ger

It didn't parse it that way, sorry.

The smog bill specifically exempts 1975-and-older cars and establishes tailpipe-only inspection for 35-year old "collector cars". Other cars continue to be inspected the same as they have been. While I would have been happier with simply changing the rolling 30-year exemption into tailpipe-only, this is not a bad compromise.

Reply to
Dana Myers

Unless someone has a link to prove otherwise, the bill as I understand it is to take another 25% off the next-to-nothing emissions of new cars. Basically instead of going after the monied interests such as the owners of coal fired power plants, they are going to go after that expensive to remove final fraction of a percent of auto emissions. It would be cheaper to go after sources that aren't pushed to the edge of technology already.

Reply to
Brent P

We're talking about AB2683, I believe. See:

It eliminates the existing "rolling" 30-year exemption from smog inspection, but maintains that exemption for 1975 and older cars (i.e., cars 30 years old when the law takes effect).

It creates a reduced smog inspection requirement for collector cars 35 years or older (tailpipe-only and fuel leaks).

Owners of existing vehicles from 1976 and newer will continue to be inspected biennially as they have been, unless they fall into the above collector class.

I would have been happier if the rolling 30-year exemption was simply replaced by a tailpipe-only and fuel-leaks inspection.

In a separate action, the California Air Resources Board did recommend more stringent standards for new cars starting in 2009; however, this is subject to a one-year legislative review and at least one expected legal challenge:

Dana Myers