Xterra failing Smog

I have a 2000 Xterra. It's in great shape & has only 58,000 miles. I recently took it into the dealer for a Smog test and it failed. They told me some type of sensor needed to be replaced and it would cost $250. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Reply to
maxheavy

It was probably the oxygen sensor(s). Ask them which sensor specifically it was (my 96 Maxima has 3, your Xterra probably has 4) and then buy it from

I replaced 2 faulty sensors with these and saved a few hundred dollars. Labor should be less then an hour. IRC, they usually last between 60-100k, so its not too unusual for them to go out at your mileage.

Also, they may be taking you for a ride if your check engine light isn't on - o2 sensor failure will always trigger the light.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Isn't there an extended warrantee for emissions stuff?

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

nothing like guessing at the problem rather than diagnosing it properly.

By the way Nick, which O2 sensor are we going to replace?

there are 4 of them after all , if that is even the problem in the first place

Reply to
NissTech

It's called reasoning you jerk:

-O2 sensors from Nissan are right around $250 with labor, if not exactly.

-They are a major reason that cars, especially Nissan's I've owned, fail smog tests, especially at that mileage. 60k - 100k is pretty much a normal life span of a O2 sensor.

-I mentioned there were four, quoting:

"It was probably the oxygen sensor(s). Ask them which sensor specifically it was (my 96 Maxima has 3, your Xterra probably has 4)..."

Notice the word probably and that I mentioned he should "ask THEM".

You, at one point, were pretty courteous and a big help to this group, but it seems your knowledge has gone to your head and now your just like the usual fat head mechanics that think they have one up on life because they can tinker with wrenches.

And where is your helpful response to the orignal question if you think I am pulling this out of my ass?

Nick

Reply to
Nick