backfiring

I have this problem that's been the plague of my '65 Stang for the last several months. Ever since a damn-near complete overhaul of the top-end (after a bout with piston slap) I've had this crazy repetitive clacking sound coming from the passenger-side lifters.. and particularly in the last few months there's been a problem with backfiring whenever I accelerate. Apart from a replacement set of lifters, could there be any alternatives?

Reply to
<chadon

Lifter noise is due to lifters out of adjustment, on the too loose side. Backfiring, if it's lifter related -- which it rarely is (it's usually timing) -- is due to lifters too tight. So these problems could be completely unrelated.

Valvetrain noise can also be due to bad geometry and other interference problems.

Anyway, before going too far down the road of worthless Internet speculation/advice, what engine is this? Is the cam hydraulic or mechinical?

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

I'm going to take a wild, wild, guess as to what he owns. (Only because I used to own one) Is it the (drum roll please)...... 170 or 200 six cyl? They seemed to burn intake valves.

Reply to
Kruse

Did you miss the part about the noise coming from the passenger side lifters? More than likely it's a 289, maybe a 260.

His problem could be multiple things. First thing I'd check is that the distributor was installed correctly, and that the timing is set properly. If that was ok, next thing I would check would be to insure the rocker arm studs are not pulling out. Then re-adjust the valves with the motor warm. Only other thing that could be causing this, is possibly the timing chain sprockets weren't properly aligned when installed.

Reply to
GEB