Best carb cfm for 73" 351C??

Im finally replacing the p.o.s. 4300D carb on my 73' Mach 1 Q-code and was wondering the best size carb to go with? Is 750 too much? The car has slight cam but is otherwise stock. Thanks. Gary.

Reply to
Gary Vitagliano

Dodgem440

You should *at least* be using a 600 CFM rated carb - preferably a 650 CFM rated carb. A Holley 750 is definitely *not* too much for the 351C.

Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C featuring a

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

You didn't mention what type of driving you do. For around-town cruising, a 750 vac. secondaries is OK, but is not the best carb for all-out foot-to-the-floor fun.

I have a 72 Mach 1 Q-code and have had on it the following: Vac. secondaries - 600, 700, 750 Dbl. pump -- 650, 750, 850

For drag racing, the 850 dbl pumper is just about right...actually, I found 900 CFM is better.

Right now I'm running an Accel DFI system that flows about 1000 cfm, but I have a large cam, lots of mods, and I drag race.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

Stay away from Holley carbs. They are junk and a fire hazard. When will the others figure it out?

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

Hmmmm...I've been running Holley carbs for years, and never had any problems with them, and never had one of them catch on fire. The most I've ever had to do is "MAYBE" change the jets at the track because of a drastic weather change. Anyway, if you had one catch on fire, more than likely your timing was off, which caused it to backfire. That's the only way you can set a Holley on fire.

Gary

Reply to
GEB

Well I found a carb but I can't find a Holey to Ford spreadbore adapter. Anyone know where I can find such an item?? I checked Google with no help. Thanks.

Reply to
Gary Vitagliano

Try your local speed shop or Summit.

Reply to
CobraJet

I bought a TD 2199 from Summit but it doesn't look right. I want to check before I open the package.

Reply to
Gary Vitagliano