Best for everyday driving GT, M1 or Cobra?

Brand new to Mustangs . . . before I start looking very seriously for a

2003+ model. What's the general consensus (is that possible on usernet ). Currently drive 2 cars a Ford Ranger (used for daily schleps around town and to work) and an older Porsche 911 (used for fun trips and exciting rides to work). I'm kind of tired of dealing with the 2 car thing and would like something that goes great and handles well, but can also be used to hall the wife and kids in a bind (can't really do it with the Ranger or 911 - I'm keeping the Expedition for real family transportation). I'm leaning toward the M1 as the best of both, but would like some feed back pros and cons on each.

Thanks in advance, Ken Central NJ

Reply to
KAP

Depends on your personal taste really. IIRC, stock Mach 1 vs stock 03 Cobra have very close 1/4 mile times. Your gas mileage in any manual tranny car is going to depend greatly on your driving habits. Also insurance costs are a factor. I've test driven a Mach 1 & 03 Cobra... I fell in love with both. Both were extremely streetable. Suspension can be beefed up on any car that you pick... I've got a 98 GT right now.. I like it.. she can move. 99+ GT's are damn fast too.. especially the later ones. My advice is to find an SVT dealership near you & test drive an 03 Cobra.. and also test drive a Mach

1... and if you want, a GT. Just bring as much self control as possible with you, b/c you're going to fall in love with each car ;).

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

KAP wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Get a Dodge Magnum R/T.

Joe Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies Black '03 Daktota 5.9 R/T CC

Reply to
Joe

That sure has some power - be kind of fun seeing all those moms spinning wheels pulling away from the grocery store in that station wagon - I know my wife would like that. Shame, but I'm know fan of Dodge mainly due to the total imbeciles I've encountered at a few of the local dealerships - one time I had a salesman use every excuse in the book not to have me to test drive a Dodge Truck I was looking at, because he'd have to move 2 cars to get it out, I was actually serious about buying it . . . I have a Ford Ranger now.

Ken

Reply to
KAP

KAP wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

There are plenty of idiots at all kinds of dealerships. My Dodge dealer has some good people in Service, but the local Ford dealer is packed with morons. Thank God the LX is out of warranty.

Joe

Well, compared to a 911 you'll be disappointed. I'd get the cobra and even then you won't like the weight and the handling compared to the

911 (you didn't say which year 911)

Other than that, the Cobra is a great car. Damn good power. The GT is much less car, but still fun to drive. Had one for years. The mach-1 is close to the Cobra, less power, no 6-speed. The new GT's will have about the same amount of power. (the 05 models)

Rein

Reply to
cobra boy

Are you talking with or without a winter beater? You said you're tiring of the two car ordeal.

Living in central NJ, you're sure going to miss the truck in the winter (especially if it's 4WD). Mustangs can be driven in the snow with good snow tires and some skill, but they're not the most feasible all-year-round car for those of us in the snow belt.

That warning aside, I guess you have to decide what you want in a daily ride. The GT runs on 87 octane gas, can get decent gas mileage, and is a decent compromise between power and handling. They can also be had brand new for around $18-19k if you look around hard enough. They run hard (just about as fast as my '97 Cobra according to Ford's numbers), and can turn a quarter mile in about 14 flat or less if you have stickies and can drive. Since you already own a Porsche... I'm guessing you're looking more for something to thrill you in the twisties. In stock form, you might be disappointed. The body flex due to lack of support and rather soft suspension coupled with noticable understeer will make you miss the 911. My '89 Probe GT with 130k on the original suspension components takes turns with more stability than my Cobra does. Much of this can be corrected through chassis stiffening and spring/shock/strut swaps.

The mach1 and the Cobra are somewhat limited edition cars, and I'd be hard pressed to take one out in the salt year after year... unless you're going to sell it after it's paid off, in which case, it'll be someone else's problem. The mach1 has a tighter suspension setup, the DOHC engine that's like the one in my Cobra only with improved bottom end torque, allowing it to be quite a bit faster than mine. The rear end is still a live axle. Some people love the hood scoop, others don't like it too much. It gets the bigger brake appointments and can be had in an automatic. I believe it requires premium fuel.

The Cobra is top dog. The seats are nicer. The brakes are big (same as the mach1, 13" fronts, 11.65" rear if they're the same as mine). 6-speed manual is the only option for transmission. Supercharged DOHC, 390 flywheel hp (claimed - most cars are pushing more). IRS rear end and a revised spring/shock/swaybar setup helps keep the car planted. The ride is a big harsher because of it, but handling is a bit more neutral than the lower models. Stock subframe connectors keep the chassis from twisting up - this should be standard on every Mustang, even the V6 model. That much power would probably be hell in the snow, but no doubt there are some people that pilot theirs in the winter, or just call off work.

I'd pick whichever meets your fancy, then find a cheap winter beater for the morning commute in the winter, but that's just my opinion.

HTH,

JS

Reply to
JS

Can't argue with you there Joe.

Ken

Reply to
KAP

It's an older SC, 1979 with 130k miles on it. Nothing like the later model Carreras, it has a demanding transmission and mechanical clutch, engine's rated at ~180 hp, but mine tops out closer to 195 with some exhaust and header mods. Great car, just needs someone with a bit more mechanical know how to keep it that way over the next few years (I just listed in for sale).

Thanks for the info.

Ken

Reply to
KAP

I test drove an 03 cobra and fell in love. I then test drove a Mach I and a GET just to make sure they didn't measure up for a lot less money. They didn't. For me, the difference in how the Cobra pushes you back in the seat when you hit the gas was worthwhile. It gets about 17 mpg of premium. And I needed a pair of tires at 11k miles. My wife doesn't enjoy driving it - partially due to the stiff clutch. The backseat is somewhat of a joke, but the same as the other mustangs. I love that car, but its probably not for everybody. Its the fastest car I've ever driven, and I bought it right after I drove it for the first time (wasn't even planning on buying a car).

Reply to
Mike Schultz

Thanks JS. Lot's to consider. My thinking was to use the car as a daily and give up the '95 Ranger (not 4x, a bit loose in the snow and rain) and '79 911 (I can only take the 911 out on nice weather days anyway). As much as the Cobra would be the most "fun" of the 3 choices, I think given how I'll be using it, it may be too much - I doubt I'd be going to the track (I dream about it, but it's been along time since I've done that), but it would be nice to have the option . Whichever one I decide on it would be used in almost all kinds of weather (of course when it really starts to come down I'd take the 4x Expedition).

Well it may be hard to compare my 130k miles '79 911 to any performance car today. But you are correct; I'd like to keep the thrill in the ride. You can definitely find great deals on the GT models, but very few dealers have Cobras and even fewer seem to carry any Mach 1s. I'm going to test drive a '04 M1 and GT this week - local dealer has a yellow M1 on the lot (not the color I'd want, but at least I can do a comparison).

Do the available GT suspension MODs make a big difference, what kind of price tag comes with these mods?

Thanks again, Ken

Reply to
KAP

If I think back on all the cars I've owned over the last 20 years, because I've do what my "heart tells" me to do . . . . ahhhh it's just too much fun to stop .

Ken

Reply to
KAP

I use an 03 cobra as daily driver. Works just fine. The 03 cobra is very drive-able for a car with that much hp. Theonly thing I would be worried about in your case is winter driving. I don't have that problem in AZ. :-)

Rein

Joe,

I don't know why, but the slash is gone. It's now just RT. Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Just want to clarify this statement for our shopper. While their 1/4 miles times are often close/similar, the Cobra is clearly FASTER car. Blown Cobras generally trap from 107-112 mph. Mach 1's usually trap between 101-104 mph. What does this mean for the potential buyer? During a quick light-to-light street squirmish, a good Mach 1 driver will be able to hold his own, but as soon as the road gets some length, or he drops the hammer next to a Cobra on the highway, he'll quickly find his Mach 1 sucking Cobra exhaust fumes.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

The GT isn't necessarily a slouch - test drive one and take it out in the twisties to see what you think. I was just saying it might disappoint next to your Porsche. While your Porsche is a 79, the current Mustang chassis dates back to the '78 Farimount, and you can actually easily swap most of the drivetrain and suspension components between a new Cobra and a mid 80's LTD wagon. It's not top-of-the-line chassis work, and the ride suffers some becasue of it. They've done wonders with spring/shock rates though and little bits of chassis stiffening here and there.

All Mustangs except the Cobra really need subframe connectors to support itself, and even the Cobra's have room for improvement from what I've heard. Consider that the only things connecting the front and rear of the car (in all but the '03-04 Cobra) are floorpan and roof - there is no unibody frame rail or connecting subframe in this chassis. Connectors will tie the front to the rear and give you one car that doesn't twist in the middle. Global West, Kenne Brown, and Steeda seem to be the popular sources for these. You'll drop a couple hundred on the connectors, and another hundred or so to have them welded in. Google subframe connectors in this group and you'll see loads of stories about them, how they're to be installed, etc. Do *not* get bolt-ins, you're just wasting your money.

The Ford Bullit Mustang suspension kit will set you back $400-500 I believe, but it includes shocks, struts, springs, and swaybars - everything needed to give you more confidence in the turns, drop the car almost an inch for an aggressive stance, and still retain some sort of ride comfort (this was factory issue on the Bullit Mustangs - the new mach1 has the same kit with revised front spring/strut rates to compensate for the DOHC engine). I don't know about install.... I'd do this myself, but I don't know if you'd be ready to take a wrench to your new toy. Compare the ride of a new mach1 to what a GT would be like with the Bullit kit.

The difference is night and day - ask anyone who's put a set of connectors on. I have a set of Global West subs ready for my '97 Cobra... every time I hit a bump I wish they were on... hopefully in the next couple weeks, I'll join the ranks.

In the snow, get yourself a complete set of Blizzaks or the Michelin Alipns or something good - a good real snow tire. Get 'em on all four corners, and keep 'em on a spare set of wheels. Skinnier the better. If you do end up with a mach1 or Cobra, though, good luck trying to get a spare set of cheap

17" wheels. You can get 15"s on the back (my drag radials are mounted on 15" wheels) but up front with the 13" front brakes, I doubt even a 16" wheel will fit.

I suggest going to test drive them all and find a back road you like...

Good luck in your quest.. .let us all know what you end up with.

JS

Reply to
JS

Yes... good point.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Interesting, I was reading an article just last night regarding the Mustang suspension and was amazed that it had not changed much in 20+ years.

How much of this will change with the '05 models?

If the suspension kit is applied to the 04 GT, does it put the car in more equal terms with the 04 Mach1 - or does the DOHC still win out of the SOHC in terms of overall performance? GTs can be had at fairly reasonable prices compared to the higher prices and limited availability of the Mach1.

Definitely something to factor into the equation.

I'm almost tempted to hold off for a few more month and see how the '05s compare . . . than again a few test drives now couldn't hurt .

Thanks very much JS for all the input it is very much appreciated.

Ken

Reply to
kpacera

The Mach 1 is not a GT with graphics package. The ram air, brakes, suspension, engine compression, pistons, cams, etc.. are all different from the GT. The DOHC motor puts out at least 50+ hp over the GT. Drive both. I think like most people you'll see the clear difference in handling and power.

Reply to
Jess MacDonald