Brake Line Question for '79

While replacing the cylinders on the rear brakes of my son's Mustang, the brake line's compression nut was firmly stuck to the line itself. The nut and the line are just so happy together, they won't part. Replacement lines are cheap, so I twisted the nut (along with the line) anyway and got the cylinder removed and replaced.

I picked up a replacement 20" 3/16 brake line at Autozone, for all of about $3. Bending it into shape was easier than expected. However, it turns out that the compression fitting upline at the 'splitter' block is larger than the connection at the cylinder.

I don't see the right part on Autozone's website, but I'm not sure I know exactly what I'm looking for, either. Is this an unusual part, or do I need some sort of adapter?

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Did you get the correct diameter line? If the answer is yes, then you've come across something similiar to what I have with Fords.

For factory assembly ford uses non-standard brake line fittings for the purpose of preventing assembly error as far as I can tell. Or maybe for the ease of tool use on the line. The fittings will for instance be the thread size for the next line size up from the line it's on.

I have dealt with this in two ways. My prefered method is to salvage the fitting from the factory line, cut off the flare on the new line, swap the ford fitting on and make a new flare. Most brake line I have to cut anyway to get the length right so it's no big deal. When I don't have to cut the line I'll use a brake line adapter fitting.

Reply to
Brent P

Yes, it's 3/16, and the next size up (1/4) is a lot bigger.

Do you use a special tool to make a good flare? Or can someplace do this for me?

Thanks!

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

You need a double flare tool. They aren't too expensive and can be found easily. Now making a good flare on the other hand takes practice.

Here's one:

Brent P

Dont reflare! Go to a local parts jobber or napa. there's a brass male-female adapter.

Autozone, for some reason never found out there are fitting adapters made for this. They try to sell you on reflaring or else some kludge short- line adapter.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thanks, you're right that's not expensive, but I wonder if an adapter might work out considering the one-time need and the practice thing. :-) I'd hate to make a bad connection on this system.

One of these is what I'm looking for, right?

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not just missing something obvious.

Will these adapters seal tightly by themselves, or will I need some silicone tape or something equivalent?

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Nope, they're brass; made to mate with flare socketry... uh, that's TEFLON tape you're referring to.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Oops, of course.

Thanks.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

"JohnO" wrote in news:1145283991.600858.241420 @e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Since the original fitting was a flare type, make sure the adapter is also, or it will leak. Both the male and female ends of the adapter will have to be machined to accept a flare.

Reply to
elaich

Doesn't look exactly right.... (probably because of the specialized trailer usage) but the theme is correct. You can find them at most autoparts stores. They seal as regular brake line fittings and will have the proper flare built into them.

Reply to
Brent P

usage) but the

regular brake line

Aha, you're 100% correct. The local parts place had the brake line adapter I needed. Ya gotta love telling the guy at the counter the story, and having him say "I know exactly what part you need," dropping it on the counter, and then it's like $2. :-)

Thanks guys, advice very much appreciated.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO