70 mustang back up light question?

Does anybody know what two wires out of the fire wall are for the back up lights for my 70 mustang fastback? The previous owner decided to snip the plug off. Ive got a black - red wire available, but when I give the wire 12 volts all the side marker lights come on. My back up lights do work when I unplug them and feed it 12 volts from another source. Are the side marker lights supposed to come on when the back up lights are on?

Reply to
rick

I'm not sure what you're asking. The backup lights don't come through the dash (firewall). Roughly near the top center of the dash, (looking under the hood) you should have a square plug with four wires which leads to the transmission. This goes to the backup light switch and the park/neutral switch if you have an automatic. Manuals have the same plug but have a jumper wire on the connection to close the loop. The other connection is in the left kick panel under the instrument panel. where the rear lamp harness connects to the dash harness.

And no, the backup lights are a dedicated circuit. No other lamps come on with them.

Reply to
TM