2004 Mustang V6 Convertible Steering noise/clunk?

I have a 2004 Mustang with 12k miles on it. I hear a clunky/squeaky sound when I turn the steering wheel. I have been doing some research and some have said that it is common is normal? Some even said the factory won't fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
duke1234

Just had my 04 fixed with the same problem. Ford has a TSB to replace the bushings in the rack of the rack and pinion. Bushing replaced and noise went away. This was done a week ago.

Take it to your Ford dealer. Mine was still under warrantee, but it may be a free fix.

Reply to
Dean Knight

You didn't say where the noise was. Down below? or in the steering column?? Need more info. I had the clock spring in the steering wheel hub break (part of the airbag electrical path) and it needed to be replaced. It was improperly installed at the factory. You can find explanations on Google.

Reply to
Brian from Home

Well, I bought the car to the dealership. They say they are changing the steering bushing, power steering pump,and possibly they are changing the rack and pinion. I know shit about cares, but its on warranty so thats good.

Reply to
duke1234

Lesseee... they get in the habit of throwing parts at a problem when in warranty, leaving you with really good feeling about taking your car there, after... and, while on subject, that differs from a driveway mechanic, HOW?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Well, I dont know much about cars. But if they want to throw parts at it, as long as I am not paying its fine with me. Maybe they are milking ford for extra money? I have no idea. All I know is that its covered and they will do all these things they say.

Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Reply to
duke1234

There is a TSB on the problem. I had the problem on my 2004 Mach 1. The dealer will probably need to order the bracket but it takes only an hour or so to do the fix. No creaks or squeaks since. :)

Regards, Sarah

TSB

04-24-8 STEERING RACK NOISE

Publication Date: November 22, 2004

FORD: 2002-2004 Mustang

ISSUE: Some 2002-2004 Mustang vehicles may exhibit a squeak or creak type noise while turning.

ACTION: Replace the power steering gear tube bracket. Use only replacement parts that have a green paint dot. Torque the fasteners to 52 lb-ft (70 N-m).

PART NUMBER PART NAME E5DZ-3K620-A Bracket

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

Ford called me and said they are only replacing the TSB parts. All my other parts are 100% operational. Thanks

Reply to
duke1234