broken timing belt blues

Eh-hem.. "omidirectional inertial impact alignment tool."

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

This is irrelevant to the original post.

So's this.

This too.

You're right, I haven't done either of those things. But it's irrelevant to the question at hand.

But you'll fork over your percentage to your labour union, right? I'm not sure why you're wasting all this time on irrelevant issues. So you don't value certification. Great. Lots of folks do. Your assertion that somehow a relevant certification must mean someone is a slacker unless they've been working on cars since before I was born is both factually incorrect and just another misdirection. If you don't have anything useful to add to the thread, just let it die already.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

One alternative is to wrap a serpentine belt around the crank pulley twice and place a pair of vise-grip pliers to hold it tight and take the remaining loop and place it over a pulley or bolt to prevent the crank pulley from turning. The belt will wrap further and tighten up preventing the pulley from turning.

I guess this isn't the place to discuss the technique of using an oxygen/acetalene torch for blowing out broken head bolts or water pump bolts from the heads or block without damaging the threads.

The impact is the easiest remedy to remove bolts, while impacts are relatively cheap, lets not forget the cost of an air compressor to run it. Most people that don't have alot of repair experience won't purchase this equipment.

Tim (Musttanguy) PonyPerformance.com

Reply to
Musttanguy

Spike

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40 16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial 225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad what fools these morons be.... Children are obscene but should not be heard Give me a peperoni pizza... or give me a calzone!

Reply to
Spike

And anyone who's already taken the plung to change their own timing belt is probably going to find a use for an impact gun going forward. It makes a lot of jobs a hell of a lot easier and less time consuming. Well worth the expense.

Cheers,

Spike wrote:

Reply to
Ritz

The thread can die but only after we straighten some stuff out.....

Where, oh, where did this labour union thing come from? Did I post a local in my sig line? Did I mantion a shop steward? Starting to sound like you are some union wienie.... My abilities and experience are a valuable bargaining chip in my life - I refuse to allow any labour union to emasculate those assets I have toiled so hard for.

Irrelevance to what... there are sidebar issues to the original post... this happens in usenet... deal with it.

Lastly, you passed judgement on a technique used the world over.... a technique that has worked thousands upon thousands of times to get someone, somewhere out of a bind. You would have the original poster spend money he/she may not have to gain a result that can be derived so easily with a little ingenuity and close attention to actions.

G'day, sir...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Whatever...

I was simply making an example. Some people use certifications to show they've "paid their dues" and others whip out their union card, etc. I don't do either (especially since I'm not in a union). I merely mentioned the certs I had and experience I had when your initial reaction was to claim I didn't know my way around a wrench. When that proved to be false, you then proceded to spew personal attacks against me. That spoke volumes about the validity of your point of view.

Yes, I passed judgement because you advised someone who you knew had little mechanical knowledge on a method that could easily result in their injury or additional damage to their car. That is downright foolish. I simply informed them of the correct way to do the same job without risking their health or risking causing damage to their car. So get past your little tantrum and just own up to the fact that you may have made a mistake in advising them as you did.

Have a nice day. Now you can run along and wax poetic about ethnic people or moose or whatever else makes you happy.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Heh. Among other things, I have been professionally repairing autos since the early 80's. I'm ASE certified and certified to work on Audi/Volkswagen/Porsche and (cough) Ford vehicles. If I caught one of my mechanics doing what you described earlier, I'd fire him on the spot.

Look familiar???

I don't do either

Does this look familiar??

Many people that "should" be spending their hard earned in more fruitful areas than an internet connection turn to usenet and web forums to increase the power of the few bucks they have. Does this apply in this case? I don't know. Just as importantly, you don't know either.

Are impact wrenches inexpensive? For me, for you, for many others.... but not for everyone. Of course, this impact wrench isn't much good without a compressor.... more expense. Would these features help down the road? Yes.... but not if they put the grocery budget in danger.

And I vaguely recall offering some associated advice "This can be a dangerous operation if we don't pay attention to socket positioning, breaker bar orientation and so on...." at the same time.

Just WTF is your big hiccup? It can't be the the superiority complex angle since you didn't trot out some lengthy diatribe on your qualifications - you told us you don't.

Lastly, you "and (cough) Ford vehicles" yet here you are, in a Ford group.

This "wise old owl" thinks you could be a valuable addition to the group.... but not with an attitude like that.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Heh, I'll take that as a compliment. As for being an "addition to the group," I've been posting here on and off for almost 10 years.

Have a nice day.

Reply to
Ritz

Yep... your posting history is quite colourful....especially in all those other NGs....

But Saturn and Chrysler???

Reply to
Jim Warman

I'm a colourful guy.

I've owned lots of different cars. What can I say. I'd also post in the alt group for Audi, but it isn't very active so I don't bother.

Have a nice day.

Reply to
Ritz