can I strip the cats without engine problems??

Dude, I was talking about a $2000 fine...hi-flow cats will cost me about $400 installed

Reply to
anon232

Haven't tried this, but wouldn't stripping the cats result in the same kind of power loss we get when putting on a "too open" exhaust system? (aka Flowmaster)

Reply to
Ironrod

In that case high flow cats are a real bargain!

prohibitively

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

NO.

Reply to
351CJ

I hollowed 'em out on an old '80 Dodge slant 6. Much more power, mean noise. Of course there were also no emissions test to deal with back then.

Reply to
ME

Reply to
Johnny K

All the extra noise made you THINK there was "much more power". Dyno tests have shown very little gains from removing the cats.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

I'll share what happened to me. 96 GTS, I put MAC off road h pipe on the GTS and lost low end torque, I could acually feel it. The car did'nt set me back in the seat quite as hard as is used to. I also went from about 270 miles per tank of gas down to 240 per tank. It sounded great, but not good enough for the loss in mileage or torque. Needless to say the OEM H pipe went back on.

Reply to
Dave Sibbett

It may not reduce the pressure to 0, but it will change the air/fuel ratio because it flows better which will result in a richer idle/off idle mix and cause a loss of bottom end torque and loss of gas mileage.

Reply to
noname