Canada's new Toyota plant

One reason they gave for setting up (in Quebec, I think) was the illiteracy they found in the American South. Apparently, there is a real problem with things like reading and writing down there. So much so that they've had to do things with symbolism instead of writing. That is pretty bad for a first world country.

Reply to
RichA

Toyota to build 100,000 vehicles per year in Woodstock, Ont., starting 2008

11:06 PM EDT Jul 09

New President of Toyota Motor Corp. Katsuaki Watanabe said that the automaker plans to build a new plant in Canada. (AP/Shizuo Kambayashi) STEVE ERWIN

WOODSTOCK, Ont. (CP) - Ontario workers are well-trained.

That simple explanation was cited as a main reason why Toyota turned its back on hundreds of millions of dollars in subsidies offered from several American states in favour of building a second Ontario plant.

Industry experts say Ontarians are easier and cheaper to train - helping make it more cost-efficient to train workers when the new Woodstock plant opens in 2008, 40 kilometres away from its skilled workforce in Cambridge.

"The level of the workforce in general is so high that the training program you need for people, even for people who have not worked in a Toyota plant before, is minimal compared to what you have to go through in the southeastern United States," said Gerry Fedchun, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association, whose members will see increased business with the new plant.

Acknowledging it was the "worst-kept secret" throughout Ontario's automotive industry, Toyota confirmed months of speculation Thursday by announcing plans to build a 1,300-worker factory in the southwestern Ontario city.

"Welcome to Woodstock - that's something I've been waiting a long time to say," Ray Tanguay, president of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada, told hundreds gathered at a high school gymnasium.

The plant will produce the RAV-4, dubbed by some as a "mini sport-utility vehicle" that Toyota currently makes only in Japan. It plans to build 100,000 vehicles annually.

The factory will cost $800 million to build, with the federal and provincial governments kicking in $125 million of that to help cover research, training and infrastructure costs.

Several U.S. states were reportedly prepared to offer more than double that amount of subsidy. But Fedchun said much of that extra money would have been eaten away by higher training costs than are necessary for the Woodstock project.

He said Nissan and Honda have encountered difficulties getting new plants up to full production in recent years in Mississippi and Alabama due to an untrained - and often illiterate - workforce. In Alabama, trainers had to use "pictorials" to teach some illiterate workers how to use high-tech plant equipment.

"The educational level and the skill level of the people down there is so much lower than it is in Ontario," Fedchun said.

In addition to lower training costs, Canadian workers are also $4 to $5 cheaper to employ partly thanks to the taxpayer-funded health-care system in Canada, said federal Industry Minister David Emmerson.

"Most people don't think of our health-care system as being a competitive advantage," he said.

Tanguay said Toyota's decision on where to build its seventh North American plant was "not only about money."

"It's about being in the right place," he said, noting the company can rely on the expertise of experienced Cambridge workers to help get Woodstock up and running.

Premier Dalton McGuinty said the money the province and Ottawa are pledging for the project is well-spent. His government has committed $400 million, including the latest Toyota package, to the province's auto sector, which helped finance $5-billion worth of industry projects.

"I think that's a great investment that will more than pay for itself in terms of new jobs and new economic returns," McGuinty said.

The provincial funds for the auto sector were drawn from a fund set up to attract investments specifically in that industry. McGuinty said no similar industry funds are being planned for other sectors, but added the province wants to attract biotechnology companies - those working on multibillion-dollar advanced medical research.

"What we have done for auto we would like to be able to do for biotech," he said. "That's where we're lending some real focus to at the present time."

Similarly, Emmers> One reason they gave for setting up

Reply to
D.K.R.

(snip)

Most stupid thing I've ever read. You understand NASA operates out of Hunstville, right?

Reply to
pawn

So you're saying that rocket scientists would go work for Toyota?

Reply to
D.K.R.

Thank the NEA. They're more interested in protecting their jobs/salaries than educating the students. Generally speaking, of course.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

hurc... is that you???

Reply to
Jim Warman

Naw, just another Canadian showing that inferiority complex.

Next they will accuse the US of Igloo envy.

Reply to
William Claude Dukenfield

I'd never heard what the Japanese reported in that story. But, just like losers who sit around for years, knowing their jobs will end (for whatever reason) and NEVER seek re-training, just sit around, complaining and getting fat, they get what they deserve.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

Ummmm.... how can I say this nicely???? I'm a f*cking Canadian and you sound like an arrogant bastard!!!!!

There.... now I feel better....

Reply to
Jim Warman

No, I'm saying that the idea of not being able to find enough trained workers in any significantly populated area is silly. I've worked on an auto parts plant in Huntsville, the people seemed just like people everywhere.

Reply to
pawn

This might get me deported, but I am an American living in the south and I for one applaud Toyota's decision and totally understand their reasons for locating their plant in Ontario.

The south IS a backwards place. I taught high school here for three years and let me tell you, it was enough to make Mother Teresa lose her faith. You have never seen so many people who not only are expecting to, but actually WANTING to become nothing at all. They are sorry, pathetic losers and, incredibly, they are just fine with it!

By contrast, about a year ago I visited Canada for the first time and was immediately struck by how clean, friendly, and safe it was. Everyone I met was intelligent and very accomodating. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of my American roots, but in no way does that mean that I think America in general, and the south in particular, has nearly enough of its act together.

The south is a cesspool of ignorance, laziness, narrow-mindedness, futility, and complacence. My family and I are in the process of saving our funds for a BIG move, and I can honestly say that I can't wait to get out of here.

Reply to
EADGBE

In those three years that you've taught high school, you've done it enough places in "the south" to be able to determine that "the south" is a "cesspool of ignorance, laziness, narrow-mindedness, futility, and complacence."

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you don't teach logic.

We're not much for ass prints on our door knobs, so please be careful on your way out.

- Max - ======= Would you believe this man has gone as far as tearing Dubya stickers off the bumpers of cars, and he voted for John F. Kerry for President?

Just Say No to 6:5 Blackjack!

Max C. Webster III

What makes you think any of these "better" places wants you moving in? After all you're just another ignorant member of the cesspool that apparently isn't smart enough to already have the funds for the BIG move. My guess is that your new neighbors will see that you can take the idiot out out of the cesspool but you can't take the cesspool out of the idiot.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"EADGBE" wrote

**snip** : The south is a cesspool of ignorance, laziness, narrow-mindedness, : futility, and complacence. My family and I are in the process of : saving our funds for a BIG move, and I can honestly say that I can't : wait to get out of here.

The south has it's drawbacks, sadly some of what you say is true. Many people do not have high ambition. Generations of people having to work just to keep their families fed and sheltered have made it so that hard work is the way of life, not higher education. BUT if Toyota was using it as an excuse not to build in the US, why not choose another geographic location for their plant?

Sorry assed, uppity, slant eyed, sonsabitches... let them go to Canada.

It was really hard to resist the simple statement: "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out"

Kate in Tennessee

Reply to
SVTKate

dumbass jim!

LOL

Reply to
SVTKate

: >

: > Naw, just another Canadian showing that inferiority complex. : >

: > Next they will accuse the US of Igloo envy.

'Mericans gots igloos... Alaskuh....

duh

Reply to
SVTKate

With such a crappy attitude I can see why your students aren't too motivated. You do realize that, in large part, it's teachers like you that cause many of our students to do so poorly? Do us all a favor and stop teaching.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I'll crawl out on a limb and guess old bosshoss is a liberal of the "Bush hating" variety that is pissed the south has gone conservative. They like to denigrate the people living in the "red" states as being ignorant, un-enlightened, racist, gay-hating, religious prudes. He's likely a card carrying member of the NEA too. But then again, I could be wrong. Care to bet on it? ;)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Personally, I didn't believe it when RichA made his post. I looked for the article and posted it verbatim. Also note that it's a biased source. The quotes come from the president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association of Canada. The writer should have jumped on his bias and challenged it rather than accepting it without challenge.

pawn wrote:

Reply to
D.K.R.

Why would the Japanese say it, to intentially upset the U.S.?

Reply to
RichA